We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need some ideas for June

pine hill, nj
Level Contributor
307 posts
116 reviews
Save Topic
Need some ideas for June

This will be our 5th trip to AK, and need some suggestions. We are using miles to book this trip(yet nothing is booked yet.

Are main reason for this trip to to kayak out of Seward again--probably Nw glacier. I already know lodging and services I will be using there. We've been to Denali, Homer, Valdez, Katmai, Wrangell_St.Elias and most places in between. So know my question is, where to now? Light hiking, and wildlife is always our goal. As far as budget---well, allot of our budget is going towards the kayaking, so I need to watch the pennies. I was thinking about using the ferry system(we have used it between Whittier and Valdez) to se the SE part of the state. My question is how to get to Seward with a rental, and then catching the ferry. We have to have a car not only to get to Seward, but to use in and around town.

My dates are either June 16-26 or June 13-25--depends what all the TA experts can come up with. Thanks for any advise or suggestions you all may have.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Valdez
Valdez
Alaska
Cross Admiralty Canoe Route
Kayaking & Canoeing
Kayak Kodiak LLC
Kayaking & Canoeing, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Stand-Up Paddleboarding, Day Trips
Alaska Travel Adventures
Kayaking & Canoeing, 4WD, ATV & Off-Road Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Boat Tours
Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need some ideas for June

There is no ferry from/to Seward. To see southeast Alaska you need to get to Whittier. The ferry from Whittier to Juneau sails only once a month between May and September. Many places to kayak around southeast. The area of southeast has a plenty of wildlife and any types of hiking. Consider Juneau, Ketchikan, Wrangell, Petersburg, Sitka, Haines.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Sitka
Sitka
Alaska
Haines
Haines
Alaska
Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,442 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need some ideas for June

Why not save a few $$ on the rental car by taking the train instead. You certainly don't need the vehicle while kayaking. Are you doing an overnight kayaking trip? There are some remote yurts that would be kewl to stay at and they have kayaks.. www.virtualcities.com/ak/orcaislandcabins.htm (Just in case you weren't aware/ for something different.)

You can take the ferry from Homer to Kodiak otherwise it's Whittier to SE.

Can you use your miles for flying to Juneau or beyond Anc?

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,800 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need some ideas for June

What airline do you have your miles with? If Delta, they allow a free stop so I would suggest Kodiak or another city you can fly to, like glacierlady suggested.

If you have miles with any other airline, then you could fly into Anchorage and out of say Kodiak and buy a one-way ticket between the two.

I am planning on a trip to Denali, Seward and Kodiak next August using Delta miles and the entire trip only cost $10 in airport fees.

Otherwise, I would second the idea of Valdez but you will find that the cost of the ferry from Wittier to Valdez for 2 will not be cheap. So you might need to drive one way or both, if that even saves on gas costs.

The only reason you would really need a car in Seward is if you are staying at Lowell Point. Reconsider this to save $$?

Book the flights ASAP - once you book the flights you can secure your car rental. Car rental prices have easily doubled since their cheapest rates in very early October.

John

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Valdez
Valdez
Alaska
Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,971 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Need some ideas for June

John, fti, and glacierlady made great points about renting vs not renting a car.

I think OP is thinking about taking the ferry from Seward (not possible) to explore Southeast Alaska.

<<I was thinking about using the ferry system(we have used it between Whittier and Valdez) to se the SE part of the state. My question is how to get to Seward with a rental, and then catching the ferry. We have to have a car not only to get to Seward, but to use in and around town.>>

In 2010 the ferry from Whittier to Juneau sails 5/19, 6/16, 7/14, 8/14 and 9/8. It takes 38 hours and costs $221.00 per person .

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
pine hill, nj
Level Contributor
307 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need some ideas for June

I knew Whittier is where we would have to depart from, however now knowing when the ferry departs it just wont work for us. I am using Delta, and I'm going to check out a flight from Anc to Juneau.

How many days should I allow for Juneau? Can we use the ferry to get to Gustauv to take a tour of Glacier Bay? Is that even necessary seeing that I've already been to Aiaik and Nw glaciers?

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
6. Re: Need some ideas for June

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 April 2010, 06:17