We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Brooks Camp!

Mesa, AZ
Level Contributor
1,396 posts
147 reviews
Save Topic
Brooks Camp!

Woo hoo--we got the reservation! So Excited! Now need a flight from King Salmon to Brooks. We are spending Monday, July 5th in King Salmon and then flying over to Brooks on Tuesday. Camping for 3 nights. Bring on the bears! Thanks to all who have responded to my posts this past year!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,478 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Brooks Camp!

Just an update that we can refer to next year:

Reservations for Brooks campground opened up this morning. It is now 1.30pm CT and the reservations look like this (max 60 people per night):

July 6 has 1 space left

July 7 has 2 spaces left

July 9 is full

July 10 has 3 spaces left

July 11 has 4 spaces left

July 12 has 5 spaces left

July 13 is full

July 14 has 1 space left

July 15 is full

July 16 has 9 spaces left

All other dates have more than 10 spaces left.

Moral of the story: If you want specific dates (e.g. you already booked your flights), book right when the booking window opens. If you are flexible with your dates, you can wait a bit longer.

Early July is more popular (this year) than late July.

Alberta
Level Contributor
157 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Brooks Camp!

Thanks for everyone who posted regarding this on the boards, I got the dates I wanted in July. I would have never known that reservations would go that fast. Has anyone ever had any problems with bringing on camping equipment on the flight? and also what is the best way to pack it (I am thinking a large duffel back).

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,478 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Brooks Camp!

I pack my camping equipment in suitcases. It works best for me since I can pack more in my suitcases than I can in any duffel bags I own. Plus I pack a lot of stuff around the camping gear and get each checked piece to weigh within 1 pound of the 50 pound limit.

You will end up leaving everything you don't need with the airline you use to fly from King Salmon to Brooks. Just take the camping equipment, clothes, camera gear, food, etc. that you need for those few days. They will store everything else. Katmailand Air says they limit you to X pounds then charge you for every pound after that. I am not sure how strict they are on that.

Edited: 05 January 2010, 20:41
SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Brooks Camp!

Whoa! I didn't realize how popular my dates were going to be. Thank goodness for TA and the nice lady at the reserve phone center. Didn't realize that the sites are not assigned until you check -in. We'll be there 7/7 kmesaaz; but without cooking equip. maybe we'll run into each other.

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Brooks Camp!

fti: I tried to book Brooks Camp today. They said they only take reservations for 6 months in advance. Today they would only take up to July 5th. I called twice and two different departments that told me and my DH the same thing. They said 6 months. How are you getting numbers left for later in July? ? I need to know quickly! Thanks.

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Brooks Camp!

book online!

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Brooks Camp!

I tried!

West Palm Beach...
Level Contributor
798 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Brooks Camp!

What website are you using?

SF Bay Area
Level Contributor
61 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Brooks Camp!

recreation.gov/camping/…

Hamilton, Ohio
Level Contributor
50 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Brooks Camp!

recreation.gov/camping/…

The entire summer is definitely open for booking. The call center doesn't know what they are talking about. While virtually every NPS campground has a six month window, there are exceptions, of which Katmai is one.