We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best place for week long kayak trip in Alaska

northern california
3 posts
1 review
Save Topic
best place for week long kayak trip in Alaska

Four friends and I, all experienced campers and moderatly skilled kayakers, want to do an approximatly week-long guided kayak trip in late June or the first week or so of July. We want a wilderness experience, enjoy "roughing it" and really enjoying hiking as well. I have found several kayak tour companies that sound good and seem like they will be able to develop a trip for us that meets our needs. Two operate out of either Wrangell or Petersburg and go into the surrounding areas, including Glacier Bay, and the other operates in Prince William Sound. I'm sure I can't go wrong either way but any thoughts on the better area to go to? Any considerations in terms of percipatation, cloud cover and consequent views, wildlife sightings, etc? Thanks!!

jjo
Chicago
Level Contributor
478 posts
167 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best place for week long kayak trip in Alaska

I have taken several long guided kayaking trips in Alaska. You basically can't go wrong. All the areas you mention are great. I would suggest planning a trip that includes a calving glacier. While you don't get too close in a kayak, the experience of kayaking around chunks of ice as you get there, is unreal. I would not emphasize wildlife too much, as everything is pretty much luck on that front. I would also try to go to an area where they are no cruise ships, as they spoil the sensation of wilderness.

I've used Tongass Kayaking out of Petersburg and they are excellent. I've use Spirit Walker out of Gustavus, and they, too were great. Years ago I used Alaska Vision Quest out of Anchorage, but I'm not sure if they are around because their web site has been down.

Our best trip may have been the fly in fly out trip with Spirit Walker called Fords Terror/Endicott Arm.

Hope this helps a bit. Let me know if you have any more questions.

northern california
3 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: best place for week long kayak trip in Alaska

Thanks for the suggestions - these are a couple of the companies I've been looking at so good to hear of your good experiences.

pine hill, nj
Level Contributor
291 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best place for week long kayak trip in Alaska

I honestly believe no matter where you kayak in AK you will have a wonderful time. I've done a 3 day in PWS to Columbia Glacier out of Valdez. It was really fun to paddle among all the towering icebergs. My favorite trip was out of Seward last year. We did a 4 day trip to Holgate and Aialik Glaciers. Aialik was calving non stop, it was quite a show. I found it quite different from Columbia, but beautiful none the less. Just 2 totally different sceneries and experiences. I would without a doubt recommend Liquid Adventures for trips out of Seward. They were very accommodating. We are using them again this year for a 5 day trip. I have some pictures from both places under my contributions that you can see the different experiences. Good luck.

4. Re: best place for week long kayak trip in Alaska

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2010, 05:19