We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Alaska State Fair/Palmer Lodging

CO
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Alaska State Fair/Palmer Lodging

We'll be in Alaska for the State Fair (and didn't know it) and would like to know if it's a good idea to pre-book a hotel room in Palmer or nearby so we can enjoy the Fair without having to scramble for lodging. We're doing a see and go type of vacation but thought maybe it was a good idea to get some information about Palmer. Ideas?

JanDaveCO

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,539 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Alaska State Fair/Palmer Lodging

There is a thread on the first page regarding the Palmer fair.

Palmer doesn't have lots of lodging, so do look at Wasilla as well, which is very close. I would pre-book - the fair is a very busy time of year. :)

CO
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Alaska State Fair/Palmer Lodging

THANKS...I did see that last night after I posted (duh). We're debating about renting an RV but don't want to pay two arms and two legs for it! So it may be a car rental and a hotel someplace. Wasilla looks nice, but we don't mind staying at out of the way places, either.

I am on ALOT of email lists so things are coming to the house now. And we're getting anxious to visit...wish we had more than 9 days! But if we love it, we could always plan another trip. Anybody been to CHICKEN?????

Thanks,

Jan

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,539 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Alaska State Fair/Palmer Lodging

I have friends that used to mine gold near Chicken, but I haven't been myself. Go for it! :)

CO
Level Contributor
11 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Alaska State Fair/Palmer Lodging

Maybe next time we come up....saw a documentary on Chicken ages ago and laughed out loud! Right now, we're hoping for some 'local color' on this trip but heard Talkeetna was civilized. Oh, well......

Thanks.

Jan

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,076 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Alaska State Fair/Palmer Lodging

Jan, read the book "Tisha" if you haven't already.....that is the true fascination of the place......it is really just a cluster of old buildings off the beaten path with several campgrounds filled with motorhomes of people taking pilgrimages to see the town where the book took place......The drive from Chicken over the Top of the World Highway to Dawson City is what really makes the journey worth it to me.......Do plan to include this in a future trip.........first week of September to catch the fall colors while still enjoying pleasant weather and at least 3 days in Dawson City if you're a history buff.......

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
799 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Alaska State Fair/Palmer Lodging

Ahhh, Dawson City.... Midway of the Yukon Quest sled dog races which are going on now.

7. Re: Alaska State Fair/Palmer Lodging

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 August 2010, 05:17