We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Kayaking - Homer, Seward, Whittier

Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Best Kayaking - Homer, Seward, Whittier

I am interested in the best kayaking opportunities in each of the areas or if one area is preferred over the others.

thanks,

TLC97

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,798 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Kayaking - Homer, Seward, Whittier

Are you thinking of a day trip or multi day ? The attached link has a post by tripgirl who did a multi day out of Valdez then later compares it to her Seward trip. There's also a message in there from noahs helper who did an overnight from Seward with kids.

http://tinyurl.com/ycs6h54

I don't think I've heard of anyone kayaking out of Whittier. I've seen lots of posts about kayaking around Homer. Hopefully someone with experience will respond. If not, go to the Homer forum and do a search called "kayak" and you;ll get some good info. Good luck !

carol

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Kayaking - Homer, Seward, Whittier

We have reserved the AK state cabins in Halibut Cove, rented kayaks and gotten a water taxi from Bay Excursions & spend a few days kayaking among sea otters, eagles, star fish, loons, etc.

All the way back in Halibut Cove away from the ocean is like kayaking in a baby pool with sea life.

We used:

http://www.xyz.net/~bay/

He also has a modern cabin with amenities to rent in Halibut Cove since the AK state cabins are very rustic (woodstoves, wooden bunks, outhouse, hauling water)

Edited: 14 February 2010, 20:22
pine hill, nj
Level Contributor
297 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Kayaking - Homer, Seward, Whittier

What are you most interested in seeing while kayaking--sights, wildlife? Kids? Overnight? I've done one day and multi days out of Valdez and also a multiday out of Seward. The two places are quite different and beautiful in their own right.

If you want to kayak among the towering icebergs, Valdez would be your choice. You won't see any calving, because usually the face of Columbia is jammed with ice. You may see some wildlife(never 100%)--sea lions, eagles, and we did see a whale while kayaking too. The ride out was nice and smooth, and saw lots of waterfalls.

Seward was completely different. We went to Aialik glacier and Holgate. With both, you are able to go to the face of the glacier(safely is about 1/4 miles away) and watch the huge chunks of ice fall into the water. You can hear the glacier crack and moan before it comes crashing down. Lots of waterfalls are there too, but for some reason I personally think the landscape of kayaking out of Seward was more scenic then out of Valdez. We saw seals,sealions, lots of birds, and whales on our trip out of Seward. We are doing another trip out of Seward in June.

I have never kayaked out of Whitter, but I would think it would be comparable to out of Seward---this is just a guess based on a glacier cruise I did out of there a few years back.

Just an FYI, out of Valdez we used Panegea, and out of Seward, Liquid Adventures. Obviously both I felt were excellent since I have used on multiple occasions. I also a very detailed review on Liquid Adventures on this site. You can also see my pictures under my profile and you can see the difference for yourself. Please contact me if you have any questions. Happy Travels.

Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Kayaking - Homer, Seward, Whittier

tripgirl,

We are interested in short one or 1/2 day guided out of Homer and Seward. Priority is Kenai out of Seward. Any recommendations / thoughts are appreciated.

pine hill, nj
Level Contributor
297 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Kayaking - Homer, Seward, Whittier

personally, I would suggest a full day kayaking. The 1/2 really doesn't go far, nor do you see what you came to Alalska for. You may see some otters, and maybe if you are very luck a whale. You'll also see waterfalls and some alpine glaciers. IMHO most people want to go where they've seen the commercials, the pictures in the books ect. A full day to Aialik will do all that. You'll see the ruggedness of the mountains, more sealife(not always 100%) active tidewater glaciers, and a sense of remoteness. You'll be able to hear the glacier moan and the thunder of all that ice crashing down....you don't want to miss that. This of course if time allows. If you can manage it, by all means go, you will not be sorry. If you can't do to time restraints, I still think a paddle is still a great way to expore, and you never know what may pop out at you. I suggest Liquid Adventures-----friendly, professional, safe and fun.

pine hill, nj
Level Contributor
297 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Kayaking - Homer, Seward, Whittier

Also, Adventure 60 north has a 5 hour bear glacier tour. This might be a good pick if time is the issue. It has glaciers, bergs, and solitude. Hope this helps.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
133 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Kayaking - Homer, Seward, Whittier

We had a great full day kayak trip in Homer with St. Augustine's, but they do offer a half day trip.

http://www.homerkayaking.com/

Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Kayaking - Homer, Seward, Whittier

tripgirl,

Thanks for the information. We should have plenty of time for a full-day. We were able to handle a one day at Tofino a couple of years ago since we tandem. 4 days allocated to Homer and Homer area. One day to Seldovia is most likely. The rest are unscheduled so far.

Ivs2cruz

Thanks for the link. I will check it out.

Englewood, Ohio
Level Contributor
1,743 posts
81 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Kayaking - Homer, Seward, Whittier

In Homer, I did day trip with Seaside Adventure. It was a fantastic day, beautiful scenery, otters, eagles, and tons of underwater marine life to view. We had a shore lunch on an island made with ingredints found on the island. It was an awsome day!

Texas
Level Contributor
27 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Best Kayaking - Homer, Seward, Whittier

swdke,

Thanks for the info.

TLC97