We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

RV from Forest City IA. to Anchorage

Florida
Level Contributor
4 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
RV from Forest City IA. to Anchorage

Leaving May 14th 2010 in a new RV with Great Alaskan Holidays. Need trip report from previous trippers on what to do not do where to stop etc. I have 2 weeks & don't want to kill myself doing it but I do want to do, see & photograph everything worthwhile. I have my Milepost. Thanks in advance Bigjerry

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: RV from Forest City IA. to Anchorage

What a great adventure you will have! I received that offer from GAH, but can't do it this year. There's at least one other person on TA who is; maybe a few of you will contact each other.

I haven't taken the trip (yet), but I followed a friend's journal last year as they drove from Chicago to Alaska and back . She posted regularly on mytripjournal.com. They took 4 months so her itinerary won't help you ! But you might get ideas from reading other journals, like this one :

mytripjournal.com/…United_States-Alaska

To read others, just select EXPLORE BEST JOURNALS, then select USA, then Alaska. Hope this helps. Have fun planning ! carol

Tampa
2 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: RV from Forest City IA. to Anchorage

Hi,

We got the same offer and are seriously considering it. If you find anything of help, please post. I am just looking now.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: RV from Forest City IA. to Anchorage

You might as well come join us on this great adventure borg - if you can still get reservations. I know they have 150 units going, so there's probably still room. I've talked to 2 couples from TN who are going - but they're the only ones I've heard from besides bigjerry. I sent in final payment yesterday, and am ready to start packing!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: RV from Forest City IA. to Anchorage

I'm curious what they charge you to drive their vehicle up to AK for them? What other requirements are there . . . etc. Seems like a fun thing to do, but if you're helping them to get their vehicles to them from the manufacturer, they should be paying YOU.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: RV from Forest City IA. to Anchorage

I agree! We're saving them a bunch of money to ship those things! LOL! But it's less than half the price of renting one in AK - 11 days are $669 for a 25' including 3900 free miles - up to $749 for a 32'. Obviously it's worth it to us.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: RV from Forest City IA. to Anchorage

And you pay for your gas? And what about flights to IA and then home from AK?

At first glace this seemed like something of interest, but I don't know how the math would work out to save us anything.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: RV from Forest City IA. to Anchorage

I imagine we could drive our vehicle and stay at hotels and eat in restaurants for the same amount - but we just like the freedom an RV offers to go as far as we want in a day, stop when we want and have our bathroom and bed with us :)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: RV from Forest City IA. to Anchorage

Oh I can completely understand! I was just trying to figure out the pros/cons and if it would be worth considering some year in the future.

We have a special arrangement for our Alaska RV adventure later this year, using our timeshares to swap for the use of a 2006 29' Winnebago for 15 days :)

For our trip, it is just six months out . . . and I for one, cannot wait!

Tampa
2 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: RV from Forest City IA. to Anchorage

I don't look at it where I'm doing something for them. It's a one way trip from the US to Alaska to see a lot of amazing area of our country, and Canada. I would be taking advantage of discounted rate to drive the RV and have the freedom I want. The math works out to be $500 for the RV, $500 per person for the airfare, of which one ticket may be a freebie using FF miles, and then approx $1100 in gas. I don't count food as that is something we would have to do regardless.

Scott

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: RV from Forest City IA. to Anchorage

Hey Carol, I think it sounds like fantastic. I might take them up on that offer next year. What a great way to see BC and the Yukon. Can't wait to read your trip report when you get back. Will you come straight back or are you staying there for a bit ?

The only negative I see is that it's a little early in the year; so snow in higher elevations. The positive is that the money you save on RV rental and gas on the return trip more than pays for the flight home. What fun !

carol