We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Internet service

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Internet service

What would be our best option for getting internet service as often as possible? We are planning a road trip from New Orleans and really need reliable access to internet at least every few days. I was thinking about usb internet from one of the cell phone companies, but how good is the coverage up there?

Thanks.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,520 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Internet service

Tons of free or inexpensive wifi all over Alaska. www.wififreespot.com is one place to look. I always need to work when I travel and have never had problems getting internet access except at the WAC and Riley Creek Mercantile in Denali, the connection can be slow and iffy. But even then, there are other places near the Denali entrance that has wifi.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Internet service

'I was thinking about usb internet from one of the cell phone companies, but how good is the coverage up there?'

We've tested these out up here- it depends on where you are. Seward, Homer, along the Russian River, at the entrance of Denali, Anchorage or anywhere in a 30-45 mile radius of Anchorage (except in the mountains) and one of those should be fine. We tested using one from AT&T, so that's the only one I can speak to for sure, but I'd think other would be ok. It's definitely close to dial-up speeds, though, so if you can get by with wi-fi in the towns like John mentioned, that'd be a much cheaper way to go.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,192 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Internet service

I drove out (Anchorage to northern New Mexico) March, 2009. I was able to use/access free wi-fi at least every other day along the way (various hotels/motels, truck stops and restaurants.

A "USB cell phone" type of connection would work if you had cell phone connectivity which can be "sparse" once you get into northern BC. You can check cell phone providers' availability maps to see when you should/might have cell phone access.

Good luck, it's a fantastic drive.

Cadiz, Kentucky
Level Contributor
1,473 posts
134 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Internet service

If you'll be in Homer, I HIGHLY recommend using the public library's free wifi. I would definitely nominate it as the most beautiful place in the world to access the internet . The views while you are surfing are unbelievable!

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,620 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Internet service

I had thought about getting a USB internet connection for my trip from Alaska to CT and decided against it since I had an iPhone and could use that in a pinch. I am glad I did not get one then, there was plenty of free internet and I was able to connect every day except the one night we spent in Nugget City. I have AT&T service and did not have any cell coverage from 10 miles outside Tok until we reached Dawson Creek, after that I had good coverage for the entire trip. I cannot remember which states or provinces had free internet at rest stops but look for that also. That said I have a USB now (long story) and love the freedom it affords me, I can surf anywhere I have a cell signal and in Alaska that is in almost every city/town but once you leave these areas the coverage is unavailable.

6. Re: Internet service

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 August 2010, 05:18