We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Winter in Alaska

Singapore
4 posts
Save Topic
Winter in Alaska

Hi,

The country that I am from is Singapore, a topical country, is about 35C here, and cannot imagine if I can get use to minus degree. The coldest I had experience was in New York that was minus 2C.

Anyone can give me advice on this, what kind of winter clothing, where should I visit, how to spend the 10 days in Anchorage?

Thank you

Bridget Wong

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Winter in Alaska

Bridget, it really depends on what you like to do. Do you want to get out into the wilderness? Do some hiking? Dog sledding? Shopping, museums? If you do not know for certain, what do you think you would enjoy?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,968 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Winter in Alaska

Hello Bridget! Hopefully, our Anchorage experts will jump in here with lots of suggestions for you. The best way to dress for Alaska or any winter climate is in layers. Most people start w/silk or polypro long underwear, and then keep adding - turtlenecks, sweaters or vests and then a nice warm outerlayer. Not sure how much you would want to get, since you are just visiting a cold climate. If you can't get winter clothes in Singapore, Anchorage has many shops or even thrift stores where you can find what you need to be warm.

There is lots to do in Anchorage, both inside and out. You might consider visiting a few other communities not too far from Anchorage, which would give you some variety: Girdwood, Hatcher Pass, etc. You could go skiing, snowshoeing, ice skating, dog mushing, etc. There are also plenty of places to shop, eat out, etc. Hope that helps get you started! Good luck. :)

Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
116 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Winter in Alaska

Bridget,

I came up here from Wisconsin, and the winters temps here in Anchorage are often warmer than down there since there tends not to be a lot of wind chill.(in the city, not in the mtns) I agree with all the other posters about layers - the weather can change quite a bit from day to day. On a typical winter day I will wear jeans, long or short sleeve base layer, fleece jacket and outer shell plus hat and gloves. I tend to wear a pair of hiking boots with smartwool socks most of the winter. Down jackets work really well too. If you plan on lots of outdoor activity, a warm pair of boots will be a must. There are lots of places to buy warm clothing at a reasonable price if you get here and find that you are not properly equipped for the weather. Another thing to remember is that we are pretty casual over here in AK and functionality wins over fashion.

Anchorage
Level Contributor
178 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Winter in Alaska

Hi Bridgetkse, when are you coming? In mid Febuary we have the Fur Rondy, which is kind of like a big festival with many activities taking place all over town. In early March we have the start of the Iditerod dogslead race.In winter we have about 5-6 hours of daylight so your outside activities are somewhat limited.

I don't know if you will be renting a car, but if you are get one with all wheel drive and if possible studded tires and take your time. Remember that most of the time you will not have a problem get started, it is stopping that gets tricky. In the winter around Anchorage we have a large population of moose that dart into the roadway at the most inconvient times. A car opens up a lot of different opportunities for activities. With a car you can go to places like Girdwood that turns into a sking town all winter. You can go to Big Lake and drive in a frozen lake. We actually have snowplows that plow roads all over the lake when the Ice gets thick enough. You can rent snowmobiles and ride all over the lake and visit the many lodges around and have a meal and spend the night at some of them.You can also drive up to Hatchers Pass or Sheep Mountain and spend the night.

As far as clothing goes, the previous posters are correct. Having just returned from 2 weeks in Thailand, I will say for a fact that you will not be able to buy cloths that are warm enough in Singapore. I would suggest that you shop online and have it shipped to you before you leave home. I suggest that you get a Parka, hat, gloves or mittens and some warm insulated boots. You should be able to find these at sites like Eddy Bauer, lands end, J.C. Pennys, Sears,. Do a google search on eddy bauer and click on the similar sites link.

Also go to www.adn.com and look down the page for thier link to the Alaska Visitors Guide, it is a very good site to get suggestions for different activities around various communities, there is a pull down menu at the top of the web page that will take you to the different communities pages. After you have done this you can ask us about the different activities that look interesting.

Hope this helps.