I'm making my first trip to Alaska this summer - itinerary v6 (hopefully really close to final!) follows. While it may seem limited to some, I don't want to spend much more time driving than this, and I think this itin will allow us to really experience the 2 select destinations.
Day 1 - Arrive Anchorage 12:15pm; pickup RV; hit store for supplies; drive North towards Denali Nat'l Park (DNP) getting as far as we can/care to given stops, sights, jet lag, etc. Overnight in Talkeetna or Healy(?)
Day 2 - Drive rest of way to DNP; check-in, pickup Tek Pass & get settled in campsite (Teklanika - already reserved); hike/explore rest of day
Day 3 - Tek Pass - reservation day, taking am shuttle to Kantishna
Day 4 - Tek Pass; hike/explore DNP
Day 6 - Seward: Exit Glacier, kayak (?), explore town, hike, etc
Day 7 - Kenai Fjords Boat tour, + whatever we didn't get to on Day 6
Day 8 - Drive to Anchorage w/ stops & sights along the way; return RV; flight out of Anch 10:45 pm
I'm looking for guidance with the following:
- recommended RV companies - quality & price - it'll be just 2 adults & neither of us has rented or driven an RV before; plan to check a local rental co this wknd to test drive & get scoop on RVing
- store to stock up in Anchorage (grocery + firewood + misc - ie WalMart type?) Preferably outside of town &/or on way north
- specific areas to hike in DNP on days 2 and 4? We're staying inside the park at the Teklanika CG;
- hike ideas around Seward, from 2-6 hrs;
- Kayaking out of Seward - i'm thinking 2-3 hrs
- Which tour co and/or specific tour to select for the boat trip; I've seen prev advice to go on 6+ hr trip so we leave the Bay; other advice on companies was old & possibly outdated. Interested in glaciers calving & marine wildlife.
SO EXCITED!! Any and all advice is much appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!!!