We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whether to do Kenai Fjords cruise

UK
13 posts
Save Topic
Whether to do Kenai Fjords cruise

Hi all. A quick question please. We are doing a 7 day Inside Passage cruise with Cruise West (mid-June) then have a week travelling around. We have most of our itinerary sorted out, but not sure whether having done the 7 day cruise, we should do the Kanai Fjords cruise as we only have one full day in Seward. Will the sights be similar to the cruise? Time is very limited in Seward and we want to see as much as possible. Many thanks.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whether to do Kenai Fjords cruise

I would highly recommend the Kenai Fjord cruise. We did this 2 years ago and I still feel it was the best of Alaska and we've been up there 6 times. We saw at least a dozen whales not to mention the puffins and sea otters. We did the inside passage cruise last year and sailed into Whittier so don't know what you are going to see coming into Seward on the cruise ship.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Whether to do Kenai Fjords cruise

It would help if you posted your itinerary. With the Cruise West trip you'll see oodles of whales and other wildlife, plus spend an entire night sitting in front of a glacier. IMO you can skip the Kenai Fjords cruise if there are other things you'd like to do in/near Seward.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,477 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whether to do Kenai Fjords cruise

I agree with Manitoba Maple. Most often we suggest the Kenai Fjords boat tour for cruise ship passengers but over 95% of the cruise passengers who post here are on the mass-market cruise lines. Cruise West is not one of those. They are smaller, with itineraries that get you more up close and personal than the larger cruise ships.

UK
13 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Whether to do Kenai Fjords cruise

Hi. Sorry, I should have been more explicit. The cruise leaves Juneau, visiting Tracy Arm, Wrangell/Wrangell Narrows, wilderness cruising, Sitka, Icy Strait, Glacier Bay NP then back to Juneau. We then fly back to Anchorage & head down to Seward for 2 nights, before making our way up to Denali NP via Willow, then back to Anchorage to fly home to the UK. We only have 2 nights and one full day in Seward unfortunately. When we gat back to Anchorage from the cruise, we land at 14:30, so won't be getting to Seward until quite late - any idea on approx travelling time Anhorage to Seward? So much to do, so little time!

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Whether to do Kenai Fjords cruise

It's about 2.5 to 3 hrs. to drive between Anchorage and Seward, plus you'll need time for scenic stops.

What is it you planned to do in Seward?

UK
13 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Whether to do Kenai Fjords cruise

Thanks. That's what we're deliberating about! We want to make the best of our (limited) time there, so any suggetions gratefully received.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Whether to do Kenai Fjords cruise

Okay, I just checked your other thread to get more info. Are you doing John’s second itinerary? Do you still have a full day in Anchorage on June 12? If so I suggest modifying it slightly as follows:

June 11 – arrive Anchorage 21:45, overnight Anchorage.

June 12 – 8 a.m. to approx. 2:30 pm, bear-viewing tour ( flyrusts.com/redoubt-bay-bear-viewing.html ). Flight could be delayed by weather, so don’t make any time-essential plans for the rest of the day. Maybe 1 hr. trolley tour of the city, Alaska Wildberry, hike/bike part of Tony Knowles Coastal Trail, etc.

June 13 to 19 – fly to Juneau for Cruise West cruise

June 20 - Arrive Anchorage 2:30 pm, pick up car, drive to Seward (2.5 hrs), stops include Potter Marsh, Beluga Pt., maybe Wildlife Conservation Center: http://alaska.org/driving/seward-drive.htm .

June 21- 9:30 a.m. to approx. 2:30 pm: guided hike on Exit Glacier: exitglacierguides.com/ice_hiking_in_Seward_A… . Here’s an excellent article about that experience: intravelmag.com/index.php… . After, SeaLife Center and/or sled dog tour with Ididaride or Godwin Glacier. Overnight Seward (or if you don’t have much to do after the hike, drive to Girdwood (under 2 hrs) to overnight).

June 22 – drive to Talkeetna (2.5 hrs. north of Anchorage). Possible stops: Native Heritage Center in Anchorage, Wasilla to pick up supplies/snacks for Denali and see the film at Iditarod HQ. Maybe early evening flightseeing at Talkeetna. Overnight Talkeetna

June 23 – flightseeing if didn’t do yesterday, then drive to Denali (2.5 hrs). At Denali, possible activities: drive the 14 miles into the park that private vehicles are allowed to look for wildlife and hike at the turnaround point, entrance-area hike, see visitor center displays & film, see free Ranger sled dog demo at 10, 2 or 4, whitewater rafting (there are easy and more “exciting” levels to choose from), dinner theatre. Overnight near Denali.

June 24 - Shuttle bus to Eielson (8 hrs). Either there or on the way back, get off to hike for a couple of hours, then catch a later shuttle back to the entrance. Bring binoculars for both of you since most wildlife is seen at a distance, food & beverages since none are for sale in the park, bug spray and rain gear for hiking. Must make reservations in advance for the shuttle at www.reservedenali.com Overnight near Denali.

June 25 – morning in Denali if still things to do, then drive back to Anchorage (5 hrs) doing anything you missed on the way up. Overnight Anchorage.

June 26 - 8 a.m. flight home

I hope this gives you some ideas.

Edited: 26 March 2010, 14:39
UK
13 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Whether to do Kenai Fjords cruise

Fantastic, thank you so much. Roll on June!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,477 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whether to do Kenai Fjords cruise

>>Okay, I just checked your other thread to get more info. Are you doing John’s second itinerary?

Not to belittle the original poster, but this is a perfect example of why we ask posters to keep all posts related to one trip in ONE thread. I had no idea I had responded to you earlier and even gave you an itinerary. Do you know how many questions each of us "regulars" answer every day? every week? I don't keep track very well of "Oh, that is the same person I answered last week about their question about XXX."

For those posters reading this, here is the thread from the Top Questions about Alaska that talk about keeping all posts in the same thread:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k33658…

Edited: 26 March 2010, 14:58
UK
13 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Whether to do Kenai Fjords cruise

Ouch! Your help is most appreciated and and we do ackowledge how much time you put into your replies. I'm not familiar with using Trip Advisor, so sorry if you feel I have wasted your time.