We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kenai Peninsula for 3 days and 2 nights

Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Topic
Kenai Peninsula for 3 days and 2 nights

Hi there,

With a car, my family of 4 is planning to send 3 days and 2 nights at Kenai Peninsula during the 3rd week of August 2010. This is the later part of our tour after visiting Denali, Fairbanks, and Valdez.

Currently on the to-do list: Exit Glacier, a Major Marine Tour to see calving glacier, Seward sea life center, 1/2 day Kenai Russian River combat fishing.

Am I missing anything obvious? I also like to squeeze in a 1/2 day halibut fishing but am afraid that I am not able to take the fish home to Texas with us.

Thanks.

Wylie.Texas
Level Contributor
186 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kenai Peninsula for 3 days and 2 nights

Well there is no problem taking you fish home.You can fedx it to arrive after you get home or have it frozen and take it in a cooler as checked baggage.I have done both more that once with no problem.If you go the cooler route -- use the cooler on the way up for whatever .In late aug.-- you might check to see what is running in the kenia.You might try Seward for a combo trip for silvers and halibut.

Hope this helps

David

Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Kenai Peninsula for 3 days and 2 nights

Thanks David.

I am not planning to take any Salmon home, but I will only get on a Halibut fishing tour knowing I can ship my fish home.

Now I will check out Halibut fishing tours.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kenai Peninsula for 3 days and 2 nights

I would try to sneak in Homer but then Homer is my favorite place.

Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Kenai Peninsula for 3 days and 2 nights

Thanks, Winny52.

Anything specific in Homer?

Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Kenai Peninsula for 3 days and 2 nights

If I can squeeze in 1/2 day Halibut fishing, it would be out of Homer, by the way.

Thanks again.

Edited: 13 April 2010, 18:23
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kenai Peninsula for 3 days and 2 nights

I love the Spit, the view from the wayside coming into Homer, the eagles, just the whole fishing atmosphere and the shops. It's just one of those towns that hooked me, I love it there.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,250 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kenai Peninsula for 3 days and 2 nights

Homer is one of the most beautiful seaside towns in Alaska - lots of artists reside in Homer . . . and it has some of the best eateries in the state. There are many things to do in Homer as well, but mostly it is the scenery. :)

Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Kenai Peninsula for 3 days and 2 nights

Eat and scenery would keep the rest of the family happy, if I make a 1/2 halibut fishing trip.

Thanks, coalminer.

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kenai Peninsula for 3 days and 2 nights

Don't discount the salmon. Wild salmon, especially if caught out in the ocean, are a whole different flavor than the farm raised salmon you get in the store and most restaurants. Never cared much for salmon till I started eating our catch from our Alaska visits.

I would really try and get a combo trip and make it a whole day rather than do a half day of each. Half day trips will catch halibut but they are usually much smaller than the average full day trip size. We have fished both Homer and Seward several times and actually caught bigger halibut out of Seward but that might just be a fluke.

fwiw, I usually get the boxed styrofoam coolers and fly it tback with me to Florida. Last year, only put two pounds of dry ice in with 40 pounds of fish and the fish was still frozen solid when I unpacked it. You should be aware that the fish is usually processed and frozen overnight so you pick it up the next am. Doing Seward and Homer in 3 days, 2 nights is too ambitious for me, would pick one or the other and Seward has more to offer so would spend both nights there.

If you really love fishing and choose to go to Homer, there is an overnight halibut trip that goes out of Homer where you can get two days worth of limits (4 halibut), Leaves and returns around 1 pm and costs about the same as a full day trip. I have done this trip the last two summers and am going again this summer, keeps my family of 5 in fish for the whole year when combined with our silver salmon family trip.

Texas
Level Contributor
43 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Kenai Peninsula for 3 days and 2 nights

Bluewaterfever,

Thanks for the tip on fish processing and freezing. I was wondering about it. Overnight halibut fishing trip sounds great and tempting.

I know exactly what you mean by salmon flavor being different. But some halibut fishing time and some bank salmon fishing would be the most I can ask my family for.

Thanks again. You guys are great.