We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Mosquitos.. How bad are they in Alaska?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
28 posts
Save Topic
Mosquitos.. How bad are they in Alaska?

Should we get a hats with mosquito nets or would the occasional use of Off suffice? Generally, I like to avoid use of Off, but do use it when needed. I've heard that the bugsin Alaska can be very annoying. Is it true?

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,876 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Mosquitos.. How bad are they in Alaska?

When are you coming? The time of year makes a big difference as well as what area of Alaska you are traveling in . . . also depends on the year. Some summers can be really bad and others where I don't even use bug dope. :)

Edited: 07 May 2010, 02:37
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,161 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Mosquitos.. How bad are they in Alaska?

I can report that in early July 2006, in the Denali area, they were pretty bad. Off probably would have sufficed had we brought some.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Mosquitos.. How bad are they in Alaska?

I rarely have to use mosquito dope down on the Kenai or around Anchorage bowl. However, at Wonder Lake in Denali the skeeters can be horrible, especially in June & July. If you are camping at Wonder Lake a cheap mosquito net hat is a must that time of year. I always carry a tiny tube of bug dope in my pack just in case.

Around the lakes in the Mat-Su valley area, the mosquitoes can be bad too.

Edited: 07 May 2010, 14:22
Wisconsin
Level Contributor
277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Mosquitos.. How bad are they in Alaska?

FYI just learned that the ingredient in bug repellent, deet, is very bad for camera equiptment if you have it on your hands and touch camera parts. 2 years ago in the Kantishna area the mosquitos were terrible. This is about the only time we ran into the little critters.

Anchorage Alaska
Level Contributor
844 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Mosquitos.. How bad are they in Alaska?

From a post we did a while back; see #3

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k26855…

St. John
Level Contributor
178 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Mosquitos.. How bad are they in Alaska?

I don't think they are going to be bad this year. We ran out and got a Mosquito Magnet. It's been running almost a week and there are about 30 in the trap. We live on a lake and I haven't seen ONE near me while enjoying the deck. Fingers crossed! We spend part of our lives in the Virgin Islands and we go through a lot of bug dope down there. Those mosquitoes are tiny and hard to kill - even with the racquets.

Have a great trip!

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Mosquitos.. How bad are they in Alaska?

Yes, DEET is something else. On a backpack on Kesugi Ridge it got on my rain gear & took the color right out of it! I hate to imagine what it can do to my skin. I try to avoid it whenever possible.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,557 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Mosquitos.. How bad are they in Alaska?

The only place where I have really felt the need for major mosquito deterrent is at Wonder Lake in Denali NP. There I use DEET and a headnet. Otherwise, I have not had much of a problem anywhere else in Alaska that requires anything near what I do at Wonder Lake. And even at Wonder Lake, the mosquitoes might not be so bad very early in the season (I was there June 8th one year and it was very tolerable) or after early to mid August.

New York
Destination Expert
for Travel Gadgets and Gear
Level Contributor
1,547 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Mosquitos.. How bad are they in Alaska?

The only place I ever needed one was in Kantishna and by Wonder Lake as the others said. Fortunately the Kantishna Roadhouse had them for our use. This year I'm going to Brooks Lodge in Katmai and they suggest having one. Instead of a hat with the net attached I just bought a Sea to Summit Mosquito Head Net that you use with your own hat. It was $7.95 and can go over a baseball hat, a Tilley style hat or any other. That way no need to bring 2 hats. The other nice thing is it rolls up into a pouch that is about 2-3 inches long and will easily fit in a jacket pocket so you can always have it with you, just in case.

10. Re: Mosquitos.. How bad are they in Alaska?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 November 2010, 05:16