We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Northern Lights from cruise ship?

Maui
Level Contributor
232 posts
26 reviews
Save Topic
Northern Lights from cruise ship?

Hi all! I'm trying to plan a trip for my aunts 50th. Her #1 dream in life is to see the northern lights. I'm thinking a cruise ship would be the easiest option for our family. We can go anytime from Dec-April. Any suggestions? I don't even know where to start looking!

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,866 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Northern Lights from cruise ship?

Well, the cruises don't run during that season - only May - Sept. The best bet is to fly up here. :)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Northern Lights from cruise ship?

Agreed - March in Fairbanks is a good option.

Mentioned in this post
Maui
Level Contributor
232 posts
26 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Northern Lights from cruise ship?

Ahh bummer!

Well if we came to Denali, what is the best month for northern lights and are there places to stay in the park?

Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,306 Reviews
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
43,866 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Northern Lights from cruise ship?

Well, the best months for the lights are during the winter. While you can come to Denali, the real tourist season is from mid-May thru mid-September. I have seen the lights in very late August/early September, but they are more prolific during the winter months. They are sort of in a slump and are rather unpredictable. We would be happy to help you plan a trip, but can't guarantee the Aurora. :)

Yes, there are places to stay near the park as well as deep with in the park - just depends on what you are looking for.

Edited: 16 June 2010, 00:34
Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,306 Reviews
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
jjo
Chicago
Level Contributor
505 posts
196 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Northern Lights from cruise ship?

Take a look at the Chena Hot Springs Resort. They are near Fairbanks and have programs for viewing the Northnern Lights. Their web site talks about the best times to see the lights and what they offer. Be aware that you're in for some very cold weather if you want to be in Alaska during the good viewing times.

Mentioned in this post
Chena Hot Springs Resort
Chena Hot Springs Resort
893 Reviews
Pleasant Valley, AK
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
72 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Northern Lights from cruise ship?

Here's a great website from the University of Alaska, in Fairbanks:

http://www.gedds.alaska.edu/AuroraForecast

It shows you the current Northern Lights forecast and the area that it's visible in. (If it were dark, I suppose.)

From what i've been reading (because, I too, would like to see the Northern Lights), the current 11-year cycle is heading into an active period. Beginning in 2011 there should be more chance for Aurora Borealis viewing, extending through 2013.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Aurora Borealis Lodge
Aurora Borealis Lodge
239 Reviews
Fairbanks, AK
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Northern Lights from cruise ship?

I used to be a big fan of the UAF/Geophysical Institute page, but the past year or 18 mos, it's been unreliable and not updated on a timely basis. Maybe the lull in solar activity lulled them too . . . another (better) site is www.spaceweather.com.

Santa Monica...
Level Contributor
72 posts
178 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Northern Lights from cruise ship?

TimeShareVon: Just visited www.spaceweather.com and their aurora photo gallery.

I can't believe that you can see the northern lights in May, and from WI & MT! wow.

Thanks for the info and posting the link.

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Northern Lights from cruise ship?

Happy to share. Here in Milwaukee (about 4-5 hr south of Chippewa Falls and the northern area of the state where most photos are taken) I've never seen the aurora . . . some day . . . I hope!

I have been fortunate to see them several times in Alaska (Fairbanks March 07 and 08) . . . and have my finger's crossed for this fall when we're there in September.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Brookfield...
Level Contributor
13 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Northern Lights from cruise ship?

I am from Wisconsin, I haven't seen them yet, but my husband has in Minnesota, at the Boundary Waters and we have friends up north that have seen them. I hope to see them this fall when we go to Alaska.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States