We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

get up and go tours alaska

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
79 posts
15 reviews
Save Topic
get up and go tours alaska

Hi,

Planning on booking a 10 day multi sport tour with 'Get up and go tours' in Alaska in August of 2010.

Does anyone have any experience of using this company and can you give a recommendation?

how physically fit would you need to be to do their 'moderate to strenous' hikes?

Georgia
Level Contributor
14 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: get up and go tours alaska

Hello,

Get up and Go Tours is a member of the Alaska Travel Industry Association. You can call them and get member information about them such as, how long they have been in business and so on. The number for the ATIA is: Main Telephone: (907) 929-ATIA (2842)

As for your question regarding the hikes, you should call the outfitter and ask them personally and they should be able to give an answer according to your fitness level.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
79 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: get up and go tours alaska

Thanks for reply. I did check them out with both BB and Tourism. But I was really looking for some folks personal experiences. I did email the company about the hikes and they said they gear the hikes toward the capabilities of the group. just a little nervous. had an experience last year where we ended up with a group of 15 20 somehings and it was near impossible to keep up. we are flatlanders and from low altitude Ohio at lake Erie so those two things worry me about our ability to hang win with a strenuous hike

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: get up and go tours alaska

Strenuous is strenuous. And since you don't want to either be pushed to your limit, or hold up the 20-somethings, then I suggest you ask the tour operator if they are willing to split the group into two on the more difficult hikes. That way everyone can enjoy it.

That's the trouble with going in a group. Not everyone is at the same level. And since the guide obviously can't leave anyone behind, the pace is the capability of the slowest hiker....

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: get up and go tours alaska

Hi evilelf!

I wish someone had experience with this tour group for you.

I am an avid Alaskan hiker & after looking at their 10 day August multi-sport tours I notice this loud & clear:

"The best part is, NO PREVIOUS EXPERIENCE IS NECESSARY to participate in any of these adventures. Anyone who is reasonably fit, sufficiently healthy, and eager to 'go for it!' is welcome to join our two guides and small group as we venture out into the wilds for an active Alaskan adventure you'll never forget."

A hike that is rated "moderate to strenuous" usually is so due to vertical gain. The day hikes are at Denali, St. Eiias & Valdez, correct?

If you are "reasonably fit" as they say, load your day pack with weight & train up & down some hills if you can. Or train with a loaded day pack up flights of stairs. Plus get out on some long weekend hikes.

One of the best tips is to put many, many miles on new footwear before taking them out on a trip. And bring moleskin. Foot & footwear issues are the #1 problem I see with hikers. It's good to have 2 well-broken in pairs.

Hope this gives you some ideas while it keeps your question at the top where someone with experience with this tour can answer.

Stratford...
Level Contributor
4 posts
61 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: get up and go tours alaska

Hi, I just came back from the 10 day adventure tour. It was wonderful. I trained a little before going, but am not as active as I would like. Our group was extremely able and we were able to do even the most strenous hikes. At the end I opted out of some of the hiking. You are not always hiking but also white water rafting and kayaking and canoeing. I would definitely recommend this tour. Please note that most of your stay is in tents at camp grounds - although a lodging tour is offered. Staying in tents in sleeping bags is not my first choice, but it was fine. I brought my own sleeping bag and thermarest, but we all used their tents. It worked and there was a group of 11 of us. Monica

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
79 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: get up and go tours alaska

thanks! we are leaning toward booking them for next season depending on if i can find out more info

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
79 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: get up and go tours alaska

thanks! we are leaning toward booking them for next season depending on if i can find out more info

Rju
Level Contributor
106 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: get up and go tours alaska

Hi Monica, I'm looking at doing this same tour. Can you tell me if the hiking goes slow or do you feel rushed? Did you need to but proper boots or just sneakers? I'm especially nervous about the mine hike. Also, is the kayaking difficult, as I have no experience. The company seems great!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,305 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: get up and go tours alaska

Unless you're a AK local (they're a wooly & wild bunch!), I'd recommend proper hiking boots. Water proof is really nice (with a just fresh application) of waterproofing. Alaska is wet (especially southern AK) and at elevations there can still be snow & ice.

Not taking care of your feet will ruin a great trip as quickly as a sunburn will (& in AK be careful of that b/c it's out for 20 hours!)

10. Re: get up and go tours alaska

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 July 2011, 07:36