We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Great hike - kind of like a mini-Denali

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Great hike - kind of like a mini-Denali

Wanted to share this hike with those who enjoyed Denali and might be traveling between Haines Junction and Haines......

We hiked the trail to Samual Glacier yesterday (21 miles from the border crossing, or 61 miles north of Haines).......Just strolling the first mile of the trail there is quite an assortment of wildflowers, lots of ground squirrels. grouse, hawks and eagles, surrounded by the colorful, snow covered mountains and enjoying the quiet of the north....but we made a day of it and hiked in about 5 miles....the trail does gradually tend uphill, but is not difficult as much of it follows an old dirt road.....the countryside is wide open with no trees and very few shrubs so a safe place to hike in bear country as you would be able to see one in the distance (and he could see you) with very little chance of surprising one....the second mile the trail crosses several small streams and is surrounded by a riot of wildflowers (lupines, wild geraniums, dwarf fireweed, forget-me-nots....mother nature outdid herself on this garden !)......the surrounding countryside is mounded in hammocks and if you get down close to the tundra you can see the variety of low-lying miniature plants that survive in this harsh environment, crow berries, bear berries and even what looked like tiny blueberry plants......the terrain is a huge meadowy bowl surrounded by mountains and as you continue several glaciers come into view in the distance and that view pulls you further along the trail......about 4 miles in you come to another creek crossing (this one will get your boots wet but was an easy crossing this late in the summer)......the clearly defined trail comes to a halt about a half mile later and the trail is marked with cairns (stacked rocks) at intervals across the meadow......we had lunch here, before turning back, but to actually walk up to the glacier, I'm told that you need to camp at this point and make a day trip the next day for the final 5 miles.....(maybe next summer ??).......Take a day pack (bug spray, sunscreen, lunch, canteen), keep your camera at hand and expect to return with wet boots, a light heart and new sense of wonder and appreciation for such unspoiled wilderness......this one is our new favorite !!

Dania Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Great hike - kind of like a mini-Denali

mombear, thanks for the trip report. It sounds like a wonderful hike that is not too strenuous for folks like I. I plan to try it next summer if this knee shapes itself into working condition.

Marilyn

edit: for you English grammar teachers, is it folks like I or me?

Edited: 06 August 2010, 01:58
Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,071 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Great hike - kind of like a mini-Denali

FlyingL: I am not an English Teacher, but as I read it I thought, that should be like me. Then when you asked, I thought hmm, could I be wrong. I did a google search and here is what I found:

"According to traditionalists, “like” is a preposition, and what’s supposed to come after it is a noun or pronoun in the objective case -- like “me.” Also according to traditionalists, a whole clause, with a verb, should never come after “like.” That’s what “as” is for -- as in, “Do as I do,” not “Do like I do.” "

Dania Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Great hike - kind of like a mini-Denali

Happytraveler,

Thanks for the info on my use of "like and I". I felt that I was wrong but after teaching students with poor English for years I don't know what is correct.

Marilyn

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Great hike - kind of like a mini-Denali

What a beautiful description for "folks like me," mombear!

Groveland, FL
Level Contributor
115 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Great hike - kind of like a mini-Denali

Here is yet another reason to love Trip Advisor! Where else can you go from hiking reports to grammar lessons in the same thread? Traveling and learning go together "like bread and butter". (Or should it be "as bread and butter"?)

6. Re: Great hike - kind of like a mini-Denali

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 February 2011, 06:15