We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Buying Binoculars

ISRAEL
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Topic
Buying Binoculars

Which is the best binocular you would advice me, for watching wild life and marine life t, in Alaska, and where to buy it at Anchorage? Thanks

Dania Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Buying Binoculars

How much do you want to spend?

ISRAEL
Level Contributor
41 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Buying Binoculars

About 100$, thanks

Dania Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Buying Binoculars

Others will have to reply to this one. My suggestion is much higher. I have Swarovsky which are really nice but quite expensive.

Sorry

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,949 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Buying Binoculars

There are several stores in Anchorage where you can purchase binoculars - REI, Sports Authority, 6th Avenue Outfitters, Army Navy Store, even Fred Meyers or Walmart would have binoculars for sale.

Boise, Idaho, U.S.A.
Level Contributor
272 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Buying Binoculars

The Nikon Action binoculars are pretty good. The non-waterproof models are usually below $100, the waterproof models a bit above. My 7X35 sample has very good center sharpness. It has a wide angle view, but the sharpness gets poor at the edge. I guess that's why they have other models that are more expensive. Anti-reflection coating is very good, as evidenced by looking at objects under a street light.

At magnifications above about 8X it becomes difficult to use binoculars hand-held, as every movement of the binocular is increasingly magnified.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,312 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Buying Binoculars

Here are a couple of links that may help you if you decide/like to do a little research:

www.dickssportinggoods.com/info/index.jsp…

opticsplanet.net/how-to-buy-binoculars.html

PA
Level Contributor
795 posts
102 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Buying Binoculars

Thanks sdpryde for the second link. It will be very helpful in my decision making for a new pair!

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
798 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Buying Binoculars

You may want to consider upgrading a bit, but it obviously depends on your budget and lifestyle. Since I am now on my 3rd set of binocculars, I wish I'd gone for better ones right from the beginning and saved myself the initial costs. You don't really realize how ineffective a cheaper pair is until you look through someone else's with a great pair. For you to decide what a good vs great pair is, you need to try them out yourself, and not just take the advice of others. Some are easier to view with glasses on, some are clearer at shorter distances, some give you a wider view., etc. My first pair was purchased through LLBean and were small, lightweight, inexpensive, were easy to travel with and met the need at the time. REI, which you can access on-line or in their store in Anchorage also carries inexpensive models.

Swarovsky is one of the best but very pricey. But I find I use them far more often just in every day use than I ever did the less expensive ones.

Dania Florida
Level Contributor
127 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Buying Binoculars

I agree with turu on the Swarovsky binoculars. They are durable, waterproof and terrific optical lenses. They are a bit heavier and I purchased a suspender type strap for them. Whenever we travel I always let others use mine just so they can see what I am seeing through them. I was fortunate to have my three children go together and purchase mine as a gift. I guess I raised them right or am just fortunate. I would love to have the spotting scope, too. I saw them all over Yellowstone on tripods and was fortunate enough to have folks let me view some wolves through them. They are truly amazing.

California
Level Contributor
1,313 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Buying Binoculars

If you are set on your $100 budget and can't spend more, we bought the Nikon Trailblazer binocular, 8 x 25 magnification, at REI in California and are very happy with it. It's waterproof too which is a bonus. They were around $100, 2 years ago.

Edited: 22 August 2010, 06:46