We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Exploring Alaska June 2011

austin
Level Contributor
73 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Exploring Alaska June 2011

Have 2 weeks and a few days to explore Alaska. Our goal is wildlife, wildlife and beauty. Is the experience on a cruise of inside passage a must to achieve this coupled with self drive, or better to fly to ANC and do tours from key city areas? Received much helpful advice about driving, but wondering now if the cruise is essential for our first Alaska experience.

Juneau Whale Watch
Sightseeing Tours, Boat Tours, Dolphin & Whale Watching, Other Outdoor Activities
K2 Aviation
Sightseeing Tours, Air Tours
Beyond Skagway Tours - Private Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Eco Tours, Nature & Wildlife Tours, Private Tours
Sitka Sound Ocean Adventures
Sightseeing Tours, Kayaking & Canoeing, Nature & Wildlife Tours
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,100 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Exploring Alaska June 2011

These people (link below) had the same question. Read through it & you'll see lots of great comments/opinions.

Good luck & enjoy,

Scott

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k38661…

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Exploring Alaska June 2011

I have been to AK four times, and planning my fifth (starts tomorrow) and sixth (March 11) and have never done a cruise. Sure there are some places and things I'd like to see and do that would be enhanced by a cruise, but I haven't found it essential in order to enjoy Alaska.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,258 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Exploring Alaska June 2011

We visited Alaska twice before ever taking a cruise and always thought cruise people to be a bunch of dudes. I changed my attitude after taking a cruise. We have now done the Vancouver and Seward/Whittier cruise six times.

We eventually did one cruisetour following a cruise. You could do the same features on your own with renting a car following the cruise. It is all a personal choice (cruise tour or independent traveller).

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Exploring Alaska June 2011

Is a cruise essential? no. Is the inside passage beautiful? yes. There isn't a quick and easy answer to your dilemna. You and your companions are the only ones who can decide which option will best meet your goals. You need to do a lot of research and determine what exactly you want to see and experience, develop an itinerary for each option, then cost it out.

If you go to cruisecritic.com you can read reports from people who are returning from Alaska. They did a cruise and excursions at various ports and had great experiences. (Go to the REVIEW forum, then select Member Reviews and choose Alaska as the region.) You can also read trip reports here on trip advisor from people who did a cruise then a DIY land tour. Here's an example:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k29048…

(In the original message is a link to their journal and photos.) They had a great experience too! You just need to figure out which option will work best for you and what you want to accomplish.

Edited: 26 August 2010, 21:11
5. Re: Exploring Alaska June 2011

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 February 2011, 08:00