We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

what are Alaska's most scenic roads?

jwr
Houston, tx
Level Contributor
362 posts
54 reviews
Save Topic
what are Alaska's most scenic roads?

For folks wanting to see spectacular scenery...what are the top2-3-4 most scenic stretches of road in Alaska?

will not include Denali NP here...or roads that are gravel...just wanting to see if there is a consensus among those who have driven in the state...for example, Highway 1 near Big Sur in California is regarded as 1 of the most beautiful roads in America...the Icefields Parkway between Jasper and Baanf in Canada is "not to be missed".....

in particular....I'm very curious what the board thinks about the drive from Palmer to GlenAllen....from GlenAllen to Valdez....and from GlenAllen to Delta Junction....thanks!

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: what are Alaska's most scenic roads?

I cannot vouch for the road from Glennallen to Palmer never needed to go that way. But from Delta Jct on through Glennallen and down to Valdez is a most awesome drive. I have driven this rode many, many, times on my way to Valdez and Chitna (dip netting).

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,152 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: what are Alaska's most scenic roads?

I doubt you'll find consensus . . . but good luck trying.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,535 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: what are Alaska's most scenic roads?

I believe the Seward Hwy as it runs south from Anchorage thru to Girdwood and beyond is considered to be the most scenic. It is a beautiful stretch, but my favorite is the Glenn Hwy as you leave Palmer and go to Sheep Mtn Lodge area - that is my favorite one for scenery. :)

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,953 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: what are Alaska's most scenic roads?

IMy wife and I were fortunate enough to have driven all of them during our stay in Alaska. We found them all amazing and they all had something to offer; especially if you had the time to stop frequently and soak up the ambience of each area.

Our consistent favorite was the Glen Highway. Year round we found beauty and intriguing views from it. Our least favorite drive was probably Healy to Fairbanks; though I feel comparing the highway scenery in Alaska is like comparing Raquel Welch to Sophia Loren to Shania Twain....

Scott

New England
Level Contributor
1,683 posts
258 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: what are Alaska's most scenic roads?

So a question for all of you about the Glen Highway. Last summer we did not drive on the Glen; this summer we are adding lots of new places to our itinerary. Is there a better direction to drive the Glen as far as the scenery? I know that Coalminer mentioned liking the drive from Palmer to Sheep Mtn but what about the reverse? Thanks!

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,577 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: what are Alaska's most scenic roads?

Either direction gives you great views, but if you drive east to Glennallen you get a nice view of the mountains. As you approach Glennallen they will dominate your view on a clear day.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,535 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: what are Alaska's most scenic roads?

What I love about that section is you are driving btw the Chugach and the Talkeenta mts with the large Matanuska river going down between them - some of the views are just stunning! Equally, having the ocean view while on the Seward is great as well. :)

New York City
Level Contributor
4,232 posts
72 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: what are Alaska's most scenic roads?

To me, the whole state is like a National Park.

My favorite scenic drives are the Haines Highway, Haines to Haines Junction and on to Tok,

the Denali , Paxson to Cantwell, spectacular and for me the best,

the Glenn from Glenallen to Anchorage, include a side trip to Hatcher Pass,

the Seward from Anchorage to Seward,

the Richardson from Delta Junction to Valdez,

For ferry travel, I like,

the Juneau to Sitka,

and the Valdez to Whittier ferries.

NJ
Level Contributor
157 posts
32 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: what are Alaska's most scenic roads?

Having driven a number of these routes a few years ago, my favorite would have to be the Richardson Highway, in particular the portion between Delta Junction and Glenallen. I've never seen more spectacular mountain scenery.

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: what are Alaska's most scenic roads?

Tough to rank them, but the Seward Highway south of Anchorage is rated a National Scenic Highway, as is the road down to Vadez.

My personal favorites are between Paxson and Delta Junction, either way, but heading north in particular. Heading from Fairbanks t Delta Junction has beautiful mountains and river to the right (south), as does the drive from Palmer to Glennallen, which is particularly beautiful in that direction when the Wrangel St Elias mountains are visible, straight ahead for many miles as you drive east. On that you also have the Chugach mountains to the right (south).

PS. If you find yourself in Paxson and not intending on driving the full Denali Highway, take time to drive the first 12 miles of the paved road (Denali Highway). The scenery of mountains, glaciers and tundra in both directions is spectacular.

Edited: 09 October 2010, 01:52