We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

moving to alaska from south carolina and i need advice!

Anderson, South...
3 posts
Save Topic
moving to alaska from south carolina and i need advice!

ok, so my husband got order to fort wainwright and i'm very excited and freaking out all at the same time. we have two children, a 24 month old and a 12 month old and of course they are comming with us.

this is the first time i've ever taken them on an air plane or ever had a big move with them and especially with such a weather change. we should be moving up in jan.

so i need advice. what's the best places to find alaska winter clothes for us, for the kids. what are some most have to live in alaska?

and any advice on flying with children will be very appreciated!

thanks!

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: moving to alaska from south carolina and i need advice!

It will be quite a long flight and the most important thing is to keep the kids busy and comfortable. You can bring snacks through security in your checked baggage and buy drinks once you are on the other side of security. If there is a powdered drink they like you can bring that and get your water after security or on the plane. If the older one likes any special toy, bring it. A portable DVD player or laptop would be a godsend and bring as many DVDs as you can. You may want to try adjusting their sleep a bit to match up with your flying hours if you can. I would also get a seat for each of you, 8-9 hrs of flying with a 12 month old on your lap will be tiresome. You can bring a FAA approved car seat on the plane. You have a couple logical stops on the way. Seattle, Detroit or Minneapolis will all get you to Alaska with different carriers. It is a matter of doing the longest leg 1st (Seattle) or 2nd (Detroit/Minneapolis).

For clothing you will need warm boots, a waterproof/warm jacket, hats and gloves. You will be moving at the coldest time of the year so be prepared and know it will get warmer. You will probably want something to cover the littles ones' faces. The air is extremely dry and your breath will freeze to your nose and eyelashes. Think practical, no one in Alaska dresses for fashion they dress for comfort and protection. It is very casual so don't worry about what you get, just that it will keep you warm. You can get good winter clothing almost anywhere, there are many online outlets that should meet your needs. REI Outlet, Campmoor, Sierra Trading Post are all good places to start but are by no means the only ones out there. For me my feet are the most important and get the coldest, I spend money on my feet. If my feet aren't happy the rest of me is not happy.

Enjoy Alaska and thanks to your husband for his service and to you for your support.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: moving to alaska from south carolina and i need advice!

I recomend you don't buy most of your winter gear until you get here. Then you can shop locally at Value Village, especially for the kid's stuff as they don't get worn out before they grow out of it. Then shop at Big Rays for what you can't find there. We have an excellent brand of kids winter wear called Activ8 that they sell at Big Rays and I can't speak highly enough of it. So many little things that you don't even think of until you see it such as magnetic zipper covers.

If you can, get a layover in Seattle. They have a nice kid's play area to let the kids run some energy off.

My main recomendation once you get settled in is to get out in the community and have fun. Ft. WW and Fairbanks has a close relashionship and there are lots of play groups and stuff in town as well.

Do your homework, prepare as much as you can, then just be flexible and enjoy the awesomeness that is the Interior of Alaska! Welcome.

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
799 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: moving to alaska from south carolina and i need advice!

You may also want to read the posts at

http://www.city-data.com/forum/anchorage/

Lots of service families and talk about moving to AK.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: moving to alaska from south carolina and i need advice!

Congratulations, you guys just received a most excellent assignment! My family and I too once received orders to Ft Wainwright from Hunter AAF in Savannah Ga. I would follow 1stimestrar’s advice on clothing since your young ones will not wear the same sizes long. Most the stuff you can buy in the lower 48 is junk. Since you will be arriving by plane your kids will not be outside very long at the airport or at our brand new shiny lodging. I am not sure but ACS may have clothing you can call them at 907-353-4227 and see what they got. You will also want blankets for the child seats so they stay nice and snug. You can also check out some of the MWR stuff that Ft Wainwright has going on at http://www.ftwainwrightfmwr.com/index.html

MD
Level Contributor
126 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: moving to alaska from south carolina and i need advice!

This is important---I would ask your pediatrian about giving your children a decongestant before your flights! Kids, especially, can have a harder time dealing with the cabin pressure when the plane is ascending and descending, thus causing very bad earaches! The first time I flew (just a few years ago, believe it or not!), I had terrible ear pain when the plane was getting ready to land, and a baby who was behind me started to cry at the exact moment that my ears began to hurt. I knew why that poor baby was crying, and I felt so sorry for him! There was nothing that his mom could do for him at that point. So ask for recommendations for a decongestant and something for pain, just in case. I took these precautions before our last trip, and had no problems. Good luck!

Anderson, South...
3 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: moving to alaska from south carolina and i need advice!

thank you so much! my only question is now... i'm gettin the impression that liquids are not allowed through security... my kids drink almond milk more than water....lol. so are they not going to let me thru even if it's in my diaper bag. i mean like honestly to get through the flight i would have to take like 1/2 gallon on the stuff just to keep the peace, esp with my toddler....

Anderson, South...
3 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: moving to alaska from south carolina and i need advice!

thank you so much for your help. i appreciate you taking the time and sharing your info with me. :) it will all come in handy.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: moving to alaska from south carolina and i need advice!

sanders77, I think you will find good news at this TSA web site. tsa.gov/travelers/…formula.shtm

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,605 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: moving to alaska from south carolina and i need advice!

As it says in the link from alaskarat you can bring what you need for the flight, follow their rules to the letter and you should have no problems. If you are traveling with another adult I would give them half of your liquid and have them declare it, that way you won't have so much tied to one person. The less hassle from TSA the better.

10. Re: moving to alaska from south carolina and i need advice!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 09 May 2011, 05:16