We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Honeymoon Itinerary.

boston, Ma
Level Contributor
81 posts
21 reviews
Save Topic
Honeymoon Itinerary.

Ok, I think I have a good idea on our itinerary and would love some input. We will be there for 2 weeks beginning July 19th, renting an RV. If there are places where I have a whole day planned and you think a whole day is not needed please let me know and I will add more activities. The more I plan the more I realize we don't have enough time to do it all.

Tuesday: arrive in Anchorage, pick up the RV at 3:00. Shop and head towards Seward, stop somewhere along the road for the night, possilbly Girdwood. Or if we make it all the way to Seward that night great.

Wednesday: Finish the drive to Seward, hike Exit Glacier; spend the night at Miller's Landing.

Thursday: He will be fishing all day from Millers; I will be doing the kayak/hiking tour and some hiking from Millers. Night in Millers.

Friday: Kenai Fjords National Park cruise all day. Leave Millers, spend the night in Seward municiple RV park if we don't feel like driving, or head towards Whittier or Cooper Landing.

Saturday: Here is where we are stuck: one option is to do the Spencer Whistle Stop on the Alaskan Railroad. The other option is to make this a day to meander north. (see next day for explanation)

Sunday: 10:30 AM Flight seeing trip from Talkeetna.(so we need to be in Talkeetna in the AM, which is why we were questioning what to do on Saturday). After flight seeing, drive to Denali, spend the night at Riley Campground.

Monday: Denali NP: Tour to Wonder Lake. Spend the night in Riley Camp Ground.

Tuesday: Denali Jeep tour, or white water raft; hiking, Dinner Theater; spend the night in Riley.

Wednesday: ATV tour, or more hiking; leave Denali and head north. Spend the night somewhere near Fairbanks.

Thurday: explore fairbanks, possibly do the Riverboat and/or head to Chena area.

Friday-Saturday-Sunday: Drive from Fairbanks to Wrangall St. Elias National Park area. Exploring and meandering then heading back towards Anchorage. These 3 days are our days to simply see where we end up. We may stop and hike, or take in a town that looks nice, or go back to somewhere we liked before.

Monday: return the RV at 10am. spend the day exploring Anchorage, night in a hotel in anchorage.

Tuesday: explore anchorage again until our 11p flight leaves.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Girdwood
Girdwood
Anchorage, AK
Exit Glacier
Exit Glacier
671 Reviews
Kenai Fjords National Park, AK
Miller's Landing
Miller's Landing
274 Reviews
Seward, AK
Kenai Fjords National Park
Kenai Fjords National...
1,367 Reviews
Seward, AK
Denali
Denali
2,188 Reviews
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
Wonder Lake
Wonder Lake
252 Reviews
Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,707 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Honeymoon Itinerary.

"Wednesday: Finish the drive to Seward, hike Exit Glacier; spend the night at Miller's Landing."

You could also visit the SeaLife Center this day.

"Saturday: Here is where we are stuck: one option is to do the Spencer Whistle Stop on the Alaskan Railroad. The other option is to make this a day to meander north. (see next day for explanation)"

I would just drive north on this day. There are plenty of places to stop and you could make a side trip to The Hatcher Pass SRA.

On your last weekend you may want to think about including Valdez, it seems as if you would have enough time for that or a trip to McCarthy/Kennicott.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Exit Glacier
Exit Glacier
671 Reviews
Kenai Fjords National Park, AK
Miller's Landing
Miller's Landing
274 Reviews
Seward, AK
Alaska SeaLife Center
Alaska SeaLife Center
2,675 Reviews
Seward, AK
Hatcher Pass
Hatcher Pass
134 Reviews
Alaska
Valdez
Valdez
Alaska
boston, Ma
Level Contributor
81 posts
21 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Honeymoon Itinerary.

Thanks!

I made the Riley campground reservations today and the shuttle bus to Wonder Lake. We are finding there is just too much to do and not enough time to do it all.

Mentioned in this post
Wonder Lake
Wonder Lake
252 Reviews
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,894 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Honeymoon Itinerary.

If you are thinking about a morning flight in Talkeetna, definitely drive to Talkeetna on Saturday. Lots to keep you occupied on your way as mentioned above by spacefry.

Personally, Riley Creek Campground is not my favorite. I have only stayed there when I had a 7am camper bus the next morning. I much prefer Savage or Tek. But Riley Creek is close to the services (good for that, bad due to the crowds, etc).

You might consider a day trip to McCarthy/Kennicott on your way from Fairbanks. The Root Glacier hike is great and the mill tour is also worth it. There is a shuttle or flight or a combination.

You might consider a 2-day car rental in Anchorage for your last days there. For pick up Aug 1 off-airport and return Aug 3, figure about $130 with Thrifty, and only $15 more to drop off at the airport. You might find even cheaper rates doing a more thorough search. Unless you are concentrating your Anchorage time downtown, I think a car will greatly help you to make best use of your time there.

Mentioned in this post
Riley Creek
Riley Creek
75 Reviews
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,894 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Honeymoon Itinerary.

>>I made the Riley campground reservations today and the shuttle bus to Wonder Lake

I am glad you had better luck than me. I tried to book using both Firefox and IExplorer and couldn't get their site to work well at all!

Mentioned in this post
Wonder Lake
Wonder Lake
252 Reviews
Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Honeymoon Itinerary.

Alaskarat’s perfect Honeymoon Itinerary:

Tuesday: Get a room at a nice hotel

The following Tuesday: Check out of hotel

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
799 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Honeymoon Itinerary.

Aaaahhh, but the room must have room service and a good view, too!

7. Re: Honeymoon Itinerary.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 01 June 2011, 05:19