We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Flying from UK (Manchester) to Alaska (Juneau)

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Flying from UK (Manchester) to Alaska (Juneau)

Hi,

Can anyone suggest which is the best route / flights to take from Manchester to Juneau?

Ideally we would like a route where we only need to make 1 stop, MAN to USA or Canada, then on to Juneau.

We will be flying in June or July.

All help appreciated!

Thank You.

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Flying from UK (Manchester) to Alaska (Juneau)

With all due respect, you really need to research the airline schedules. I don't know that anyone here can be familar enough to help you . . . without doing the research for you.

Leeds, United...
Level Contributor
24 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Flying from UK (Manchester) to Alaska (Juneau)

Hi,

TimeshareVon, I am not wanting people to do my research for me, just hoping someone may have done the same journey and may have some advice.

I have looked at lots of different airline schedules and there are lots of different options, so just after a bit of advice which route may be best . . . that is the idea of the forum after all isn't it?!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Flying from UK (Manchester) to Alaska (Juneau)

>>>we would like a route where we only need to make 1 stop, MAN to USA or Canada, then on to Juneau<<<

I'd be surprised if in your research you found any airline that flies directly into Juneau after your "one stop" in the US or Canada. You'll probably have to go through Anchorage. So unless you can find a Manchester to Anchorage flight, I don't think what you're hoping for is possible, and therefore the possibilities become pretty endless with some personal preferences coming into play.

Along those same lines, I don't know what airlines fly direct out of Manchester to the USA or Canada (hopefully someone else will).

Edited: 07 January 2011, 13:44
Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,745 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Flying from UK (Manchester) to Alaska (Juneau)

I would think you should start with what airports in the USA you can fly direct to Juneau from. Seattle and Anchorage are your choices. Then you need to find out if you can fly direct to Seattle or Anchorage from Manchester, as far as I can tell you can't.

The most direct stopovers in the US would be Chicago, Detroit and Minneapolis. You can fly Manchester--->Chicago---->Seattle----->Juneau on American Airlines. That is about as direct as you can get and the time doesn't seem so bad, at least to this Alaskan who is used to always having to fly overnight to get anywhere.

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Flying from UK (Manchester) to Alaska (Juneau)

According to kayak.com, there are no flights with just 1 stop.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,148 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Flying from UK (Manchester) to Alaska (Juneau)

There is only ONE airline which flies into Juneau......Alaska Air.....

Wherever you are coming from, you need to stop in Seattle first, but that is a great airport to be stuck in while changing planes.....lots of shopping and good restaurants.......when booking make sure you get a non stop from Seattle to Juneau as there are several flights which also make stops in Ketchikan or Sitka (or both)......

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Sitka
Sitka
Alaska
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,220 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Flying from UK (Manchester) to Alaska (Juneau)

Well not necessarily. There is Anchorage as already mentioned, which is accessible via Chicago (BA, American Air & Alaska Air) and Minneapolis (DL) to name a couple of midway US cities (there may be others).

This is why I suggested she do her own research as there are too many variables in routing, and people have unique preferences in how they travel, based on who's traveling (parents, kids, grandparents, etc. as well as their budget.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Flying from UK (Manchester) to Alaska (Juneau)

"Wherever you are coming from, you need to stop in Seattle first"

Or Anchorage, as spacefry mentioned. The cheapest (by far, at the moment) flight is UK to Germany, then to Anchorage with a layover of nearly 9 hours. That might be a good chance to rent a car for a few hours to sightsee Anchorage and the beautiful drive 1 hr. south.. Total travel time 23.5 hrs.... The shortest flight is Delta, 19.5 hrs, goes to Amsterdam with a 4 hr. layover in Seattle. Costs almost twice as much, however....

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Seattle, Washington
Destination Expert
for Seattle
Level Contributor
7,342 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Flying from UK (Manchester) to Alaska (Juneau)

There are no one-stop connections from MAN to JNU, but umpteen 2-stop connections.

You can fly on KLM to Amsterdam, then Delta to Seattle and on Alaska Airlines to Juneau (the Alaska flight also carries a Delta flight number - a "codeshare") or similarly, Air France to Paris, connecting to another Air France flight to Seattle, thence to the same Alaska flight (which also carries an Air France flight number.) The MAN-CDG-SEA-JNU option is the quickest by an hour or so over most other alternatives, but it requires an early departure from MAN (as in, 6:30 AM.)

Or you can go via Heathrow - MAN-LHR-SEA-JNU, using British Airways' nonstop London - Seattle flight. Both the Manchester and Seattle flights use Terminal 5 at Heathrow, so no terminal-transfer annoyances.

Or you can take American Airlines nonstop from Manchester to Chicago, connect to Alaska Airlines to Seattle and on to Juneau... or...

Remember you need to clear US border formalities at the first point of entry. Seattle in mid-summer can be quite congested, but going from international arrivals to domestic departures is pretty easy. At other places, e.g. Chicago, the border formalities might be quicker but terminal changes take longer.

Mentioned in this post
Seattle
Seattle
Washington
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,148 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Flying from UK (Manchester) to Alaska (Juneau)

Okay, okay, she can fly into Anchorage, but from there (or from anywhere else) there is only one airline that goes to Juneau and that is Alaska Air.......just to let her know that she will need to change airlines either in Anchorage or Seattle......

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Seattle
Seattle
Washington