We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need info - summer trip just in early planning

Baton Rouge
5 posts
Save Topic
Need info - summer trip just in early planning

We decided to visit Alaska this summer. I'm just beginning to research, so please bear with me if my questions are dumb. We don't want to cruise or do a package tour. Prefer to rent a car and drive. Is it possible to rent a car in Anchorage and return it in Fairbanks? What about Juneau, is it even possible to drive from Juneau? It looks like all the roads to the interior start from Haines. So far, I have picked these as "must see items": Denali, Kodiak Island and Glacier Bay. Is this possible in 2 weeks?

Lake, Michigan
Level Contributor
276 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Need info - summer trip just in early planning

We took a cruise/tour this past summer. Our group all decided that if (when?) we return we would rent a car and see it ourself, so I think you're on the right track.

Yes, you can rent a car one-way. Any of the major rental companies with offices in both cities would be able to take care of you. No, you can't drive to Juneau. Plane or boat access only. Our cabbie joked that nobody complains about the price of gas there, since you can't drive any more than 30 miles. Ferry boats would be a good way to see Juneau, if you're interested.

RV rentals are very popular in Alaska, you might want to think about that too.

atlanta
Level Contributor
117 posts
20 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need info - summer trip just in early planning

I am going to Alaska the last 2 weeks of August this summer. When originally planning we looked into doing a one-way car rental between Anchorage and Fairbanks....you can do it but it will cost you! :) The rates I was finding on various websites were pushing $1,000+ inclusive of the charge for the one-way drop for a one week rental. So - be prepared for the sticker shock.

Pompano Beach
Level Contributor
83 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Need info - summer trip just in early planning

I am interested in the answers here, too. I have a cruise booked, and decided to do the land ourselves. We have 5 days out of Anchorage in mid-July, and are just now in planning stage. We plan to rent a car in Anchorage. How long should it take to get to Denali? I usually see Denali and Mt. McKinley listed separately, can any one explain that? Can I also get to Seward? I am sure this is just the beginning of my questions, hope louisiananative does not mind that I have added on to his/her questions.

PS, am going to N'Orleans in June for professional conference. Thanks all, your responses are so helpful.