We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

once in a lifetime trip to Alaska

once in a lifetime trip to Alaska

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2018, 17:30
Skagway, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Skagway
Level Contributor
610 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: once in a lifetime trip to Alaska

Welcome to TA

Just look over to the right on this Alaska page and you will find about all you need to know re this trip.

Do not skip by the one about cruises by Frommy and MM.

There is so much more info than just about cruises on that thread.

There is another good read re. Denali on that list as well.

(We think maybe that Frommy found out that some of us are getting compensated and he thinks it is paid by the word!?!)

The rest of us are still waiting by the post box for the cheques....

Then come back with questions if you please.

DD

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
12,510 posts
215 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: once in a lifetime trip to Alaska

If you add a little more info., it'll help the posters give you some great options:

- any interests like hiking, kayaking, river rafting, fishing?

- any special limitations due to age or physical issues?

- driving a car, renting an RV (for the duration of the trip)?

tks,

Scott

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: once in a lifetime trip to Alaska

kthorlakson, can I ask why you're staying in Seward 5 days? That does seem a bit long...

Any interest in a bear-viewing tour? Fishing? Hiking? Walking on a glacier?

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Majorca, Spain
Level Contributor
30 posts
86 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: once in a lifetime trip to Alaska

I agree with other posters that five days is way too long for Seward. There you will want to do the Sea Life Center, a Kenai Fjords boat tour and a hike to the Exit glacier. That's three, maybe four days tops. To see wildlife, do the denali bus to at least Eilson. We spent four days, three nights in the park a few years back. Just from the bus we saw more than 10 grizzly bears, including cubs, dall sheep, wolves, fox, caribou, moose, beaver. the place is amazing.

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Kenai Fjords Tours
Kenai Fjords Tours
3,746 Reviews
Seward, AK
5. Re: once in a lifetime trip to Alaska

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post at the original author's request.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 April 2018, 17:30
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: once in a lifetime trip to Alaska

So the BIL is "trying to plan the trip" and not even going? I think I would tell my sister that while it's nice that he wants to "help" a trip to AK is a bit personal and the planning should be left to those going (and paying for it).

Edited: 14 January 2011, 13:28
Kearney, Nebraska
Level Contributor
455 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: once in a lifetime trip to Alaska

Having done a number of trips to Alaska five days in Seward are to many IMO. I would suggest several days in and around the towns of Kenai, Soldotna, and Homer. Do some more research on what these areas have to offer. If this is going to be your only trip, you owe it to yourself and your dad to put more planning into this.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Kenai
Kenai
Alaska
Homer
Homer
Alaska
Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: once in a lifetime trip to Alaska

Can the reservations BIL made be canceled without too much penalty?

If you're staying at Denali and Seward, how is anyone getting to the bear-viewing at Katmai? Are you stopping in Anchorage for a day? Which outfitter has he booked with?

At that time of year there is a much cheaper (though shorter) bear-viewing tour out of Soldotna for about $350. Would that be in your price range?

What has *Dad* said he wanted to do in Alaska?

Mentioned in this post
Denali
Denali
2,188 Reviews
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: once in a lifetime trip to Alaska

I will chime in here too, 5 days in Seward is too long (please don’t hit me glacierlady).

Mentioned in this post
Seward
Seward
Alaska
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,898 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: once in a lifetime trip to Alaska

>>So the BIL is "trying to plan the trip" and not even going?

I think he is going, just has never been there before, but we can let the OP clarify.

Unfortunately this looks to be a classic case of coming to TA for "damage control" - "we have already booked this and that and the other thing, now what else can we fit in?" But most everything that is already booked is not changeable so we really can't help much.

Having booked 5 nights ANYWHERE without knowing what there is to do there sounds incredible to me, something I can't even fathom. Obviously it is the way some people travel, though.

You might want to give us what parts of the trip are absolutely non negotiable (i.e. huge cancellation fees, etc). That would help us to help you better.

Edited: 14 January 2011, 18:26