We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Advice needed for Alaska Trip

Fremont, California
5 posts
Save Topic
Advice needed for Alaska Trip

Hello All,

I am planning on visiting Alaska sometime in JULY or AUGUST.

This is a plan which I had in mind. Can you please suggest?

We will be 4 adults and 2 kids (6 and 8 years).

1. Day 1: Fly to Anchorage.

2. Day 1: Stay overnight in Anchorage.

3. Day 2: Take the railroad from Anchorage at 6:45 AM to Seward arriving there at 11:45 AM. Link for Alaska Railroads:

4. Day 2: Spend the remaining day exploring Seward. - What can one see with no car in hand? Since we do not have a car in hand in Seward, what is the best recommendation getting around in Seward between railroad station to the lodging in Seward and then to the Kenai Cruise location.

5. Day 3: Take 1 day cruise from Seward to see the glacier and ice fjords. Take the 11:00 AM cruise. Company that offers 1 day cruises - www.kenaifjords.com/kenai-nationalpark.html

6. Day 3: Stay overnight in Seward - Any recommendations for a decent lodging in this place?

6. Day 4: Take the railroad back to Anchorage. Depart at 6:00 PM and Arrive at 10:15 PM.

7. Day 4: Stay over night in Anchorage.

8. Day 5: Leave after breakfast for Denali National Forest by rental car. 5 hour ride.

9. Day 5: Stay overnight near Denali National Forest - Any recommendations for a decent lodging in this place?

10.Day 6: Visit Denali National Forest.

11.Day 7: Leave early morning back for Anchorage.

12.Day 7: Fly back to mainland.

Thanks.

Florida
Level Contributor
1,017 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Advice needed for Alaska Trip

First of all is there some reason you will not hire a car for the entire time? Driving is very easy and it gives you the option of stopping when ever you like. I am going to send you a copy of our 2 week itinerary. Re accommodations I will recommend, above all, Aspen Haus B&B. Individual cabins away from the glitz of the area in Healy. The Continental breakfast daily is more than enough and Ann Marie offers freshly baked goods daily. While we were in Seward we stayed at Salt Water Lodge B&B...beautiful setting, right on the water but you would need a car. I am staying in Seavey's Abode Well cabins in July 2011 although, once again, you will need a car. If I can be of further help let me know.

Fremont, California
5 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Advice needed for Alaska Trip

Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking of doing a rail trip too during the stay in Alaska - but it is not something that I am adamant about. We can take a mini van and and use it to cover Anchorage, Seward and Denali.

Please send me your itinerary. It would be helpful for me.

Any suggestions for a overnight hotel in Anchorage?

Thanks,

Fremont, California
5 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Advice needed for Alaska Trip

Since it is a 2 1/2 hour ride from Seward to Anchorage, are there any attractions which we can see on the way back to Anchorage?

I saw this: http://www.alaskasealife.org/ Is it worth going to this place? Can you recommend anything else?

Thanks,

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,213 posts
46 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Advice needed for Alaska Trip

The views along the way from Anchorage to Seward (and throughout most of Alaska) *IS* the attraction in my opinion. There are other things along the way worthy of a stop or tour too.

The Alaska Wildlife Conservation Center which is near the Portage "turnoff" from the Seward Hwy.

Yes, I think the AK Sealife Center in Seward is also worth a visit.

Since you haven't really told us what you and your family's interested in, it's pretty difficult to really give you advice on what to see/do.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,748 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Advice needed for Alaska Trip

I too like the idea of renting a car for the entire time. A 7-night car rental is the same price as a 5-night rental so it won't cost much more than renting the car just to go to Denali (it is Denali National Park but the way, not Denali National Forest).

The link you gave to the Kenai Fjords tours shows 8am, 10am and 11.30am. I would opt for 8am or 11.30am and skip Fox Island.

I don't understand your reasoning for staying in Seward Day 4. You have no activities listed. Why not just return to Anchorage on Day 3 after the Kenai Fjords tour? You arrive in Seward on Day 2 probably by noon if you leave at 9am. You have all day to see the Sealife Center, Exit Glacier, or whatever. On your way to Seward you can stop along Turnagain Arm, the Wildlife Conservation Center, the Portage Glacier Visitor Center, walk to Byron Glacier, etc. You can get to a couple of these on your way back from Seward too.

Be srue on Day 6 to take the SHUTTLE bus into Denali NP (vs. the tour bus) and book to Wonder Lake. It might be a long day for your kids though. Take things to occupy their interest, plan to get off the bus a couple of times to break up the day and if it becomes too long of a day, get off at Eielson and catch a different bus back to the entrance.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Advice needed for Alaska Trip

The Holiday Inn Express in Seward is very nice, I stayed there this past September. It's within walking distance to most downtown sightseeing and restaurants. I would recommend Ray's for a great seafood and steak dinner. I did notice school buses running daily taking passengers from one end of the town to the other. There also is a taxi service which is very reasonable.

Fremont, California
5 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Advice needed for Alaska Trip

We are not into fishing. With young kids and older parents, kayaking is also not an option for us. Walking, Hiking is definitely an option for us.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Advice needed for Alaska Trip

I agree that a rental car would be a better option. As Von said, the drive along the Turnagain Arm is an attraction in itself so a car would give you the ability to stop frequently along the way. There are some interesting stops for the kids as well; looking for mountain goats on the cliffs, gold panning, Conservation Center, icebergs in Portage lake, salmon at Williwaw. This link will give you some ideas.

alaska.org/driving/portage-valley-whittier-s…

Fremont, California
5 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Advice needed for Alaska Trip

That was pretty good information about things to do in between Anchorage and Seward. The glacier hike is definitely we would all be interested in. I will revisit my itinerary and adjust it accordingly.

Thanks.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,778 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Advice needed for Alaska Trip

Here's a sample of a road trip to Seward with some stops in between (see: http://tinyurl.com/AK-roadtrip01)

A = Anchorage

B = Girdwood - there's a neat hike to a hand cart/tram across a gorge (see: www.alaskahikesearch.com/Hikes/Winner.htm ). For the shortest/easiest hiking distance park near the mine - but be weary of parking on the mine property). Cross the gorge and hike another hundred or so yards to a bridge/creek. Great pictures and the hand tram is "a blast".

C = Portage Glacier/Lake - the visitor center (Begich Boggs - see: http://tinyurl.com/begichboggs01) is pretty neat and a hike/walk to nearby Byron Glacier (see: #1 at http://www.alaskaoutdoorjournal.com/Activities/Hiking/hikekp.html) has some spectacular views and the kids might have some fun in the snow near the bottom of the glacier (keep some plastic trash bags in your pocket to "sled" on). Fantastic scenery. Great photo opportunities.

D = Seward

Good luck & enjoy AK,

Scott