We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help Planning - Flight onto Glacier, Gold Panning & Bears

New York
Level Contributor
138 posts
Save Topic
Help Planning - Flight onto Glacier, Gold Panning & Bears

I'm trying to sort out my shore excursions during my Coral Princess cruise at the end of June - first week of July. The ports of call are Skagway (13 1/2 hours free), Juneau (9 1/2 hours free) and Ketchican (8 hours free).

I've done a lot of reading and am so overwhelmed with all of the information and choices. Please help me narrow down which locations are best known for: a flight landing onto a glacier where we can get out and walk around a bit (no glacier climbing), panning for gold, dog sledding and watching bears fish for salmon? These are my main interests.

I definitely want to take the White Pass and Yukon Express so that takes care of most of my time in Skagway. Now I just need to fill in my time in Juneau and Ketchican.

Which flight tours/float planes gets you more bang for your buck as far as breathtaking scenery and overall experience - Mendenhall Glacier or Misty Fjords? Not looking for too much strenuous activity, just great sights and moderate activity.

Itinerary suggestions and tour company recommendations would be greatly appreciated! I don't really have a budget and would be willing to pay whatever it takes for the best experience without going extremely overboard.

Washington DC...
Level Contributor
771 posts
75 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help Planning - Flight onto Glacier, Gold Panning & Bears

I'm planning my trip in May and one of the things that has been helpful for me is to look up the city on here and click Things to Do, then go down the list in order of favorite.

Some of the things listed down at the bottom might be perfectly fine things to do but I tend to pick my tour companies and lodging based on TripAdvisor recommendations and how high something is on the list. Maybe not the best way for everyone but it works for me.

2. Re: Help Planning - Flight onto Glacier, Gold Panning & Bears

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 17 October 2012, 15:17