We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Excellent Light show tonight

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Excellent Light show tonight

...even in Anchorage! I got a text for a level 6 Kp this afternoon while it was still light out, so I made plans to head up into the woods on the north side of the base at around 10:30. We were happy to be able to see them at all when we first got there, and then about midnight they started dancing like crazy. Even got to see some red! We were dancing about as much as the Lights were. :) My first big show and the first time my friend saw them at all, really (saw them faintly on the horizon a few weeks ago when the moon was out).

Here are the pictures. I finally remembered my little extendable tripod, so I got some decent shots. A little grainy, I'll have to try it on ISO 400 next time instead of 800.

flickr.com/photos/…

Edited: 05 February 2011, 11:04
Ann Arbor, MI
Destination Expert
for Michigan, Ann Arbor
Level Contributor
2,156 posts
176 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Excellent Light show tonight

WOW--that is SO cool and beautiful!

Thanks for sharing.

Deb

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
17,373 posts
91 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Excellent Light show tonight

Lovely photos AKtiger. Thanks for posting them.

We have two people from Singapore on the Australian forum at the moment travelling to Nth Queensland and wanting to see Aurora Australis on their trip. (Insert silly emoticon here)

I loved this response from one poster.

"You generally need to be between 60 to 72 degrees latitude from the equator to see them, either in the far northern or far southern hemispheres. Cairns is about 17 degrees south of the equator. To use an Australianism, you've got Buckley's chances of seeing them anywhere on the Australian mainland"

Some people, but at least we can savour your great photos of Aurora Borealis.

PA
Level Contributor
843 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Excellent Light show tonight

Thanks for sharing your amazing photos. I would love to see the lights someday.

Little Rock
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Excellent Light show tonight

Wow! Great shots. Was this this year?

What is this text message service you speak of? Or was it a friend?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,545 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Excellent Light show tonight

Wow thanks for sharing. Here's to hoping that in a month it will be similar!! I have 6 nights Alaska and can only hope!

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Excellent Light show tonight

Frommy, that's pretty funny! I think folks have a bit better chance than that in Anchorage, but the stars have definitely had to align to see them here in the last few years. It's also tough to go out for a few hours just on the off-chance you might see them when it's a work night. So, it being a weekend with everything else working out was also pretty lucky.

'Wow! Great shots. Was this this year?

What is this text message service you speak of? Or was it a friend?'

Thanks! Not only this year, that was last night/this morning. I pay about $5/month to get text messages from SpaceWeather.com when the Kp Index gets above a certain point. Since Anchorage is pretty far south, I set mine up so that I get a text if it goes to a 5 or above. Yesterday went to a six, but it was still light out here when that happened. When we saw it, the web site said it was supposedly a 3, but that didn't look like a level 3 to me. Heh!

Here's hoping the sun activity is high when you're up here, John.

Edited: 05 February 2011, 19:06
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,798 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Excellent Light show tonight

It must have been quite a sight for the people in that plane ! Thanks for sharing the photos .

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
184 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Excellent Light show tonight

Fabulous photos - thanks

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,154 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Excellent Light show tonight

Very nice photos! Thanks for sharing and giving us all hope for the coming months. It looks like at a KP=6, it did not disappoint and a bonus to have clear skies "down south".

As for aurora alert services, I use a free twitter alert that was right on it all day yesterday.

Here is the link to the info I previously posted here on TA: tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k35433… .

Von

Little Rock
Level Contributor
51 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Excellent Light show tonight

Thanks for that Von!