We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

30 and 60 somethings - 1st cruise recommendations

San Antonio, Texas
Level Contributor
69 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
30 and 60 somethings - 1st cruise recommendations

My husband and I (in our 30s) are taking my parents (60s) on an Alaskan cruise for their 40th wedding anniversary. None of us have ever cruised before. We're looking for a Northbound or Southbound cruise that ports in Sitka and goes through Glacier Bay. We would like to have a cruise that is more on the casual side than formal. Does anyone have any recommendations? Any tips for 1st time cruisers?

Skagway, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Skagway
Level Contributor
609 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 30 and 60 somethings - 1st cruise recommendations

Welcome to TA!

Please look up to the right at the list of frequently asked questions. About the second one down is the one which you should access and when you find the post from Frommy, you will have all of the info which you seek.

If you do not find it there, the post was just bumped up today so it will still be down this thread, not much off the first page, if that.

Happy planning and we are glad that you are coming to see us!

DD

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,571 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 30 and 60 somethings - 1st cruise recommendations

Thanks for the plug, dbigfoot.

Only Princess and Holland America have permits to sail in Glacier Bay NP, and HAL Amsterdam 14 day cruise round trip from Seattle does not enter GBNP, but does stop at Sitka, while SevenSeas Navigator, Oceania Regatta and Siverseas seem to have itineraries including Sitka from my brief search of the cruise calendar. It looks like it is a choice of Sitka or GBNP, unless someone can come up with something else.

While HAL do have a two formal nights you can dine in their very fine bistro on those nights, but you only need a jacket and tie, no jeans or sport shoes, for the formal nights anyway. All Alaska cruises are fairly informal as most people take these cruises more for Alaska than the actual cruise.

Cedar City, UT
Level Contributor
307 posts
154 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 30 and 60 somethings - 1st cruise recommendations

We're on an NCL cruise, in May, that includes Glacier Bay so you might check with that line also. There are lots of online sites that list many lines & itineraries.

Happy Sailing

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,159 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 30 and 60 somethings - 1st cruise recommendations

You might want to post your question on the Alaska Board of Cruise Critic.

boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php…

Of the mass market cruiselines, HAL seems to be the only one that goes to Sitka, but typically on round trips out of Seattle as Frommy mentioned.

As mentioned by Frommy some of the more upscale lines also go to Sitka, however, you will have to check if any do go to Glacier Bay. I can't afford those lines, so don't follow them.

NCL has had some itineraries that go to Glacier Bay, and Carnival has in the past gone to Glacier Bay on one sailing per season.

Princess has a very nice SB itinerary that goes to Glacier Bay and Hubbard, but no Sitka.

One thing we have all learned about Alaska, is you can't do it all on one trip. You simply have to return to do what you couldn't fit in the first time around.

Good luck with your planning. Feel free to ask more questions as you put this trip together.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,571 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 30 and 60 somethings - 1st cruise recommendations

I did not include NCL because it is on an R/T schedule from Seattle, not a O/W that OP asked about.

6. Re: 30 and 60 somethings - 1st cruise recommendations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 21 February 2012, 07:16