We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

'Flying High Alaska' on the Discovery Channel

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
'Flying High Alaska' on the Discovery Channel

Since we're talking about TV shows. I don't watch much TV ( don't even have cable) but I came across this show a couple of weeks ago and REALLY enjoyed it. Last weekend it was on for a few hours, one episode after another, so I was 'flying high' .

For the most part, the show concentrates on ERA's home base in Unalakleet and what it takes to run an airline in the north, dealing with the weather, the enormous distances, sparse population, etc. There are flights to Barrow, Nome, and they even dropped people off in the middle of nowhere with no runway . The scenery is magnificent and you get a glimpse into some very different lifestyles, different cultures and some adventurous people.

Anyway, if you haven't seen it, give it a try. carol

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 'Flying High Alaska' on the Discovery Channel

I enjoyed that show to yescanada but then anything with an airplane or helicopter in it catches my attention everytime. But you made one boo boo the shows name is Flying Wild Alaska.

I am always amazed at the editing of these shows as they are edited to bring the most entrainment value to them. Example the one show had me at the edge of my set when Jim Tweto landed his Cessna 180 on a river sandbar. The suspense was built around him having to touch down in the water before rolling out on the sand bar. It dawned on me that someone was standing on that very sand bar with the video camera and sound equipment. How do you suppose they got on the sand bar to film the landing?

Enjoy the show but don’t take everything for what it appears to be.

Ice Road Truckers had trees growing at a peculiar angle on some of the hills. Even on a hill trees grow straight up not at an angle lol.

Alaska State Troopers, Most people at the Iron Man Competition at Summit are not a bunch of drunks.

As a matter of fact most people in Alaska are not a bunch of Drunk Driving, Drug Using, and Angry Poaching gun slinging idiots. Although a great deal of us have guns this is true. I hate that show.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 'Flying High Alaska' on the Discovery Channel

ooops on the title. Thanks for the correction.

Of course the show is edited! It's television. It's entertainment.

But the fact of the matter is, the pilot DID land in a dry river bed, not a paved runway with lights, signage and a hundred employees at the airport. That's what makes it so different.. And the pilot dropping off that couple and dog at their cabin in the Gates of the Artic National Park. The scenery is what I love. There are always wonderful shots of the mountains, wide open spaces, and lakes. I hope it gives Alaska tourism a boost.

I haven't seen anything about drugs, drinking and guns. Just a lot of great scenery, some interesting information, and a bit of culture.

Sharon, South...
Level Contributor
39 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 'Flying High Alaska' on the Discovery Channel

I really and truely love to watch every show about the great state. Everyone is correct TV is not necessarily the way it is. Drama and entertainment is the game when it come to editing.

I am truly disappointed hearing that iron man is not a bunch a drunks though. I woud have looked forward to that. (just kidding).

Again I watch as many showes as I can about the state but I just refuse to watch Sara Palin's show. I am sure it is my loss in seeing some great vistas and places but I just cannot stand her and refuse to watch anything with her.

Looking forward to my trip 8/27 - 9/8/2011

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 'Flying High Alaska' on the Discovery Channel

Randy,

Although I am not a big fan of Sarah Palin (I did vote for her to be governor) the show had some things about life in Alaska that many if not all Alaska shows avoid. Things like the caribou hunt which is a true reality in this state, we hunt. I was actually surprised by that and the halibut fishing with the beating of the fish to death. Possibly one of the more realistic shows about life in Alaska.

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
797 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 'Flying High Alaska' on the Discovery Channel

If you put aside the politics and view her as a commentator/narrator I though the show was great. I would love to see this type of format on other places in the US/world to visit.

AKrat, you just don't know where to go to see all the drinking, etc. at the Ironman. It's party time!

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
366 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 'Flying High Alaska' on the Discovery Channel

First off, I'm a republican (moderate though), and I can only watch Sarah Palin's Alaska on mute. I can really do without the commentary. It is amazing to watch.

The folks who made Flying Wild Alaska were even here in Juneau talking with all of the operators to see who would make a good fit - we're just not dramatical enough for them.

Its interesting the show makes ERA out to be based in Unalakleet... (spelling?)... its actually based in Anchorage - Hagelands (Tweto's ops), Arctic Circle Air, ERA, and Frontier Flying service all merged and operate under the ERA banner. That's why you'll see a mix of the planes in different schemes - ERA is strictly black/white/red (stripes); Arctic Circle is white with blue, Frontier is black and red, and Hagelands is green with yellow.

Still a fun show to watch... just hyped up a bit.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 'Flying High Alaska' on the Discovery Channel

Here is an interesting article from the ADN.

adn.com/2010/12/18/1611395/alaska-bush-pilot…

8. Re: 'Flying High Alaska' on the Discovery Channel

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 October 2012, 18:16