We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Inside passage or Glacier Voyage for 7 day cruise?

San Diego
Level Contributor
27 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Inside passage or Glacier Voyage for 7 day cruise?

We may be going on a 7 day cruise to Alaska in June 2012.

It will be a once-in-a lifetime trip with a lot of our family. We are probably going on Princess. However, I am interested in opinions regarding the most scenic route- Inside Passage Way roundtrip from Seattle or Glacier Voyage from Vancouver to Whittier.

Any advice and opinions are most welcome.

Michigan
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
3,027 posts
202 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Inside passage or Glacier Voyage for 7 day cruise?

The Vancouver sailing will be more scenic. In general the Seattle sailings cruise to the west of Vancouver Island, which puts you out in the open ocean. The

If you are looking at a Princess one-way I would look at the southbound itinerary from Whittier to Vancouver IF glaciers are your priority. Princess has been going to both Glacier Bay and Hubbard Glacier the last few years on the southbound itineraries. If you want to see glaciers, this is a jackpot cruise.

Townsville...
Level Contributor
394 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Inside passage or Glacier Voyage for 7 day cruise?

I too was originally looking at the 7 day return cruise from vancouver but on discovery of the princess cruise am thinking the one way from Whittier witht eh land content in alaska also for a few days.

Looks amazing, We are planning for Aug 2012.

Level Contributor
88 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Inside passage or Glacier Voyage for 7 day cruise?

Hello

I am one of a group of 8 and we are booked for July 30 2011 leaving from Vancouver BC. After much, much research and time spent on this same subject we found leaving from Vancouver to Whittier to be the best venue, since it has 2 days of Glacier cruising - one day in Glacier Bay with following day in Colleg Fjord. Northbound or southbound seemed parrell to us with great offerings! We also chose to go on Coral Princess because it is grand and beauitful but smaller passanger load so less crowded. Not as formal as others, yet dress up dinners if you choose. Also it does offer the glacier cruise where others do not.

This is our first time to Alaska but ohters on our cruise have been before and are going back. They highly recommend going farther than Skagway and continue the criuse out into the Gulf Glacier area. Also, if you have the time and money they highly recommend doing the land tour or renting a vehicle and going up into Denali yourself.

Being in Alaska and so close to Mckinley and Denali would be a shame to miss, thus their second trip back.

Our itinerarey looks like this for your comparisons:

We also booked from a Criuise Center which made all planning simple. We are chosing some planned activities and shore excursions and some independent.

7/30 Bon Voyage Vancouver BC

7/31 At Sea

8/1 Ketchikan 6:30 AM -2 PM (husband charter fishing AM, taxi cab tour of sights then a

a drive up the river and some senic areas) back to town for a bit of walk

8/2 Juneau 8 AM - 9 PM (we are doing a helicopter tour and landing on a glacier)

back to town for walking and sites

8/3 Skagway 7 AM - 8:30 PM (we are taking the old train up to White Pass for spectac-

ular scenery and then motorcoach back for photo oportunities, then sites in town.

8/4 Glacier Bay Cruising 6 Am - 3 PM

8/5 College Fjord 5:50 AM - 8:30 PM

8/6 Whittier arrive 12:30 AM

Rail on domed train to Talkeetna 7:15- 12:45

motorcoach to McKinley Lodge 12:50 - 2 PM afternoon and evening open

and next morning open

8/7 Coach to Denali Princess Lodge 2 PM - 4:15 PM

afternoon and evening open

8/8 Denali day 2 Full Tundra Tour 8 hours on the Shuttle bus allowing time to get off

evening open for ATV rides

8/9 Coach to Fairbanks 10 Am - 1 PM river raft trip AM and drive to Healy

We are taking the 2 PM riverboad cruise on a sternwheeler, native village, and dog

sled camp

8/10 Transfer to hotel and fly home

Hope this gives you and idea what it can look like in your planning,

Of course, you fill in your time at ports and land with your interests and abilities.

We still have some open time where we can fill in, we don't want to over plan, but did want to be prepared so we can enjoy the moments and not be stressing out.

We are excited for July to get here and we can board that ship to Alaska!

Enjoy your upcoming vacation too!!

I hope this was somewhat helpful to you, and please ask any questions you may have.

This is actually our first cruise and I am new at this but learned a lot in the process.

MM

Level Contributor
88 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Inside passage or Glacier Voyage for 7 day cruise?

Also....if you wanted to add an extra day or two to see some sights before you leave...

fly into Seattle and do the city in a day, Then the next morning Amtrak Train service leaves from Seattle to Vancouver (around $28.00) and is a beautiful couple hour ride up the coast following the coast line. Once in Vancoluver the train station is just a few short miles and easy taxi ride to the pier of embarkment. The cruises I saw including our are late afternoon embarkment allowing time for the train ride up and not having to spend the evening prior, this is how we are also doing it.

Something to consider if time allows :)

I was surprised how expensive airfair is out of Fairbanks...my only disappointment in my planning..sticker shock.

MM

New York
Level Contributor
3,145 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Inside passage or Glacier Voyage for 7 day cruise?

As already noted, by far, the more "scenic" cruise is the one way. I would strongly encourage you to add time for some interior Alaska touring, to take advantage of being all the way there. IF this is a "once in a lifetime trip" then it is "necessary". Look at another week, so to get a good itinerary for interior Alaska.

Trabuco Canyon, CA
Level Contributor
62 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Inside passage or Glacier Voyage for 7 day cruise?

Just read your itinerary to Alaska 7/11. My husband and I are considering a cruise to Alaska this July! So as you can imagine our timing is tight and this would be our first cruise and first time to Alaska. Your trip looks amazing- Im interested in seeing the glaciers - hopefully we can afford some excursions as well - since this is so last minute i may not have a choice in cruise lines. How did you decide on Princess cruise line ? I will search what is available and hopefully find a northbound and same stops you have. What type cabin did your friends who have cruised before to Alaska recommend? Thank you for your info!! Enjoy every minute!

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Inside passage or Glacier Voyage for 7 day cruise?

Up2me2pickit, if you are interested in seeing glaciers, you might want to look at the Princess southbounds, which visit both Hubbard Glacier and Glacier Bay.

Also check out Top Questions, top right of page, for a thread on cruising that should answer many of your questions.

8. Re: Inside passage or Glacier Voyage for 7 day cruise?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 09:20