We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

High quality jewelry

Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Topic
High quality jewelry

Thinking about doing an Anchorage/Seward/Denali circuit in early July this year. My question is, does anyone know of high quality/expensive Alaska specific jewelers in any of those areas (or beyond)? Something that will last for many many years, but also something that is uniquely Alaskan in craft and/or composite. Nothing off a cruise ship or from China, etc.

Thank you!

Alaska
Level Contributor
530 posts
55 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: High quality jewelry

What do you mean by expensive?

I don't know specific stores or galleries, but I could give you the names of some specific Alaskan jewelers whose work I think nicely represents our lifestyle/culture/nature here. But I would consider them mid-range, though certainly long-lasting.

Good for you for wanting to buy Alaskan-made art! We have a lot of wonderful artists here, but still too much crap from China floating around.

Wisconsin
Level Contributor
277 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: High quality jewelry

The Alaska Mint in Anchorage has some beautiful gold nugget and gold quartz jewlery. I bought a few pieces a couple of years ago and love them. Can't find that kind of jewlery too often other than in Alaska.

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,311 posts
197 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: High quality jewelry

The Gift Shop at the Alaska Native Medical Center has some really great native crafts (jewelry included) that should fit your desire.

See: http://www.anthc.org/anmc/ for more information on the hospital.

Good luck,

Scott

Edited: 25 February 2011, 15:16
Atlanta, Georgia
Level Contributor
136 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: High quality jewelry

Thank you all for the suggestions. Juju, I just mean like not a 3 dollar necklace you'd get your 10 year old niece, you know?

Something more higher end/long lasting. Thanks!

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,652 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: High quality jewelry

regarding jewelry on cruise ship stores most what I have seen has nothing to do with Alaska. Visit the arts and crafts stores and you can find many original stuff made by Alaskans. If it is made in Alaska it will indicate so with that little polar bear, such as the bottle cap on Alaskan beer brewed in Juneau. Not sure where the bottle is made.

In Anchorage right across from the entrance to the Glacier Brewhouse is a gallery. Also one on the corner. No junk in those places.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: High quality jewelry

Check out the Alaska Native Arts Foundation on 500 West 6th Ave Anchorage. Alaskannativearts.org they have hand crafted Alaska Native Jewelry that might fit the bill.

7. Re: High quality jewelry

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 23 October 2012, 11:16