We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

2011 Yukon Quest.

Anchorage Alaska
Level Contributor
797 posts
25 reviews
Save Topic
2011 Yukon Quest.

2011 Yukon Quest Adventure by 1stimestar.

http://cloud9doula.wordpress.com/

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 2011 Yukon Quest.

Heck of a race this year. The Yukon Quest makes the Iditarod look like a cake walk. Very good pic too.

Paxson, Alaska
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 2011 Yukon Quest.

What a great blogger.

I stole one of the photos off her - one with a bunch of flamingos - for nefarious purposes of my own.

"Our" musher, Sebastian Schnuelle, came in 2nd place - yay, Sab! Now he's off to the Iditarod. His dogs are not particularly fast - the mix is either mostly too old, or too young and inexperienced - but with the training he gets here on the Denali Highway it appears they - and he - are better prepared for truly wretched conditions, such as those on this year's Race From Hell. Sab told us that the only way expects to finish well in the Iditarod is if similarly hellish weather shows up, wherein his tough-as-nails but slow dogs will just keep plodding along, passing the otherwise faster teams.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 2011 Yukon Quest.

I don’t see him having a problem let us see here. 1st in Yukon Quest in 2009 and then 2nd Place in the 2009 Iditarod. He placed 7th last year in the Iditarod but did not run the Quest I guess he wanted to just run the easy race.

Paxson, Alaska
Level Contributor
316 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: 2011 Yukon Quest.

We're all hoping so!

But his team is quite a different mix from those of years before, however; also, he frostbit nine fingers during his rescue of Hans Gatt on the Quest - and on top of that, he cut off his left index finger at the first knuckle when cutting meat on the table saw late in December. Stitched-and-glued back on, but still it is hugely sensitive to cold - yecch.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,522 posts
50 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 2011 Yukon Quest.

I think he is trying for endurance at a steady speed. Everyone else has to brake there sleds anyways until the dogs settle down to a trot. If he can maintain a constant speed for a longer time period then he would only have to suck it up if it came down to a position race. But if his dogs are as tough as I think they were in the Quest then if he has to break trail he will be better off than the others. So Hike! And On By! It is off to Nome we go.

PS If you have never mushed before you are missing life!

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: 2011 Yukon Quest.

Ah thanks for posting that. I've been so busy this winter I haven't checked in much lately. And now the Iditarod will have me glued to the computer for the next 10 days or so. But I think I will go out and run dogs some next week for a nice break. We got a huge amount of snow last month, 25" vs. our normal 6". That hopefully will give us a longer mushing season.

Bridgewater
Level Contributor
797 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 2011 Yukon Quest.

Absolutely love Sab, and all his "couch" dogs, but it was Hugh Neff who took the moment to say hello to my Mom in NJ via phone today. All these guys (male and female) are absolutely wonderful with all their fans. I wish them all Godspeed and good luck!

8. Re: 2011 Yukon Quest.

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 24 October 2012, 14:18