We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

What is "don't miss" shore excursion in Juneau

San Diego
Level Contributor
20 posts
Save Topic
What is "don't miss" shore excursion in Juneau

We will take Holland America Alaska northbound cruise in late June. One of the stops is at Juneau. I want to know which tours we should not miss. Which one we should book from cruise line, which one we can book when we get on the dock?

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
New York
Level Contributor
3,404 posts
56 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: What is "don't miss" shore excursion in Juneau

There are probably 30++++ tours to choose from and few that aren't worthwhile. You need to do your homework and narrow down your interests. There are too many "must dos" for even 10 trips.

There is no point in me raving about my favorites when they aren't of interest to you or outside of your budget.

Once you have selected a few tours of YOUR interests, post the list, then you can get vendor information and booking suggestions for that tour.

Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
366 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: What is "don't miss" shore excursion in Juneau

do them all ;)

Depending on your budget, most people rave about the Wings Airways Taku Lodge & flightseeing adventure - its about $300 - $350 and takes up about 4 hours.

People love the Mendenhall Gardens excursion, and of course the Mendenhall Glacier.

The Mt. Roberts tram is a lot of fun when its nice out, along with some great hiking up there...

Or you can hike 1/2 mile on the Perseverance Trail to an older Mining Museum

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,271 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: What is "don't miss" shore excursion in Juneau

The two places that say Juneau to me are the Glacier Gardens and the Mendenhall Glacier. The Mt. Roberts Tram is also spectacular.

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
MD
Level Contributor
127 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: What is "don't miss" shore excursion in Juneau

Thumbs up for the Wings Airways Taku Lodge excursion! Expensive, but worth the cost if you can do it. You get more for the buck compared to the helicopter trips. And the Mt. Roberts Tram was fun, too; also cheap (compared to most other excursions). The view from the top was just beautiful!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,825 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: What is "don't miss" shore excursion in Juneau

I am with Budgetqueen on this one. The glacier excursion holds little interest to me. I would rather be on snow in Alaska in the winter - thus I went last week for the start of the Iditarod.

Hiking is great in/near Juneau, but if you don't like to hike, who cares? Whale watching tours are excellent in Juneau too, but if you are not interested, it certainly would not be a "don't miss."

"Don't miss" and "must do" are totally subjective.

Mentioned in this post
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
6. Re: What is "don't miss" shore excursion in Juneau

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 October 2012, 16:17