We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Gas Prices in Alaska

jwr
Houston, tx
Level Contributor
372 posts
55 reviews
Save Topic
Gas Prices in Alaska

can some of the locals report what current gas prices are in Alaska....especially in Anchorage and Seward? thanks....and can it be expected to pay more in more remote area such as Homer and Valdez?

and with the recent spike in gas prices nationwide....can we expect tour companies to add on fuel surchages for the upcoming summer tourist season?...for instance, the boat tours out of Seward and the bear flights out of Homer?

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Homer
Homer
Alaska
Valdez
Valdez
Alaska
Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Gas Prices in Alaska

It cost at the Fritz Creek Store $4.09.9 earllier this week and two cents MORE in Homer. Cheaper in Anchorage. California has higher costs due to the enviormental stuff set by the know it alls in Sacramento.

John

Mentioned in this post
Homer
Homer
Alaska
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Gas Prices in Alaska

You can use a web site like www.gasbuddy.com to check prices.

Will you be driving a car? If so you can get discounts at Safeway and Fred Meyer gas pumps by buying groceries at their stores. ie in WA if you buy $50 in groceries you get 10 cents off a gas purchase.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Gas Prices in Alaska

FYI Alaska has the 3rd highest gas price average in the US. Only Hawaii and California have higher prices.

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Gas Prices in Alaska

oops. That's 10 cents off per gallon. And you need to use their customer rewards card which you can apply for when you walk into a store. Or apply on line.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,896 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Gas Prices in Alaska

Having just returned from Anchorage and Talkeetna, I was surprised that the price difference between Anchorage/Wasilla/Talkeetna and Minnesota was not as great as I have been used to in the past. The gas prices were about $3.75-$3.80/gallon in Anchorage. Here in MN they are $3.55-$3.60/gallon. Often the difference is 30 cents/gallon or more.

Certainly when you get further from the larger cities, the gas prices go up.

As yescanada mentioned, you are best to use a price comparison website like she mentioned.

Mentioned in this post
Juneau, Alaska
Level Contributor
366 posts
66 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Gas Prices in Alaska

the gas card discounts in alaska are only for dollars spent IN Alaska.

for instance, I just drove my car cross country to Bellingham to hop on the blue canoe to Juneau and filled up in Yakima - gasbuddy said Safeway had the cheapest, so I went there. The lady at the counter said I should be able to get 10 cents off a gallon but it wouldn't take it, so it just gave me the 3 cents off. Her manager came out to apologize to me as I was filling up, and said that 'because alaska isn't doing the same promotion we couldn't give you the discount' (( he adjusted it so i did get it though, was nice of him)).

I also noticed this with my Fred Meyer card.. I have an 80 cents/gallon discount but it didn't work at any Krogers along the way... (Kroger is the big daddy parent of FM)

so all you'll get up here is the lousy 3 cent discount, and Costco doesn't sell gas here :(

Mentioned in this post
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Juneau
Juneau
Alaska
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,215 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Gas Prices in Alaska

Avoid gas in Cantwell, on the Parks Hwy between Denali NP and Talkeetna! If you can make it to either point you'll do yourself a favor to the tune of $1/gallon (based on our experience last summer).

Here is what I wrote about gas price comparisons after our AK Adventure by RV:

"Some have asked about RVing in Alaska and how we did with gas and mileage. In total, we drove "the beast" 1,431 miles and used 177 gallons of gas. Our total gas bill for the trip in the RV (excluding the rental car for three days) was $628.50 or $3.55/gallon. The high was in Cantwell ($4.259) and low of $3.259 in Talkeetna. Had we only known we could have made it that far, we could have saved about $25! We found gas to be around $3.40 +/- in and around Anchorage (including Palmer and Wasilla) and around $3.70 down on the Kenai Peninsula. We paid $3.529 at the Safeway in Fairbanks but also enjoyed our final tank at $.10 off thanks to our Safeway card and a large initial grocery shopping trip to get us started. As for propane, we went through about 3/4's of a tank or $50 worth."

Again, this was a trip that took place 8/28 - 9/13 2010.

Edited: 11 March 2011, 05:01
Mentioned in this post
Cantwell
Cantwell
Denali National Park and Preserve, AK
Denali
Denali
2,183 Reviews
Alaska
Alaska
United States
Palmer
Palmer
Alaska
Wasilla
Wasilla
Alaska
Kenai Peninsula Suites
Kenai Peninsula Suites
277 Reviews
Homer, AK
Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Gas Prices in Alaska

Since last post gas went up seven cents at Fritz Creek Store in downtown Fritz Creek - $4.16.9.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
1,526 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Gas Prices in Alaska

So my wife’s Tahoe need gas last night so we went over to Fred Myer West to get gas. I did not get any discount from my rewards thing. So after I fill up at cost my wife says let go get some milk and stuff in the store. We spent over $100.00 in stuff like new pillows for our couches. As I was checking out I told my babe that we should have shopped first then got the gas!

Current lowest price for gas un-discounted Sams Club @ $3.79 per gallon.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,896 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Gas Prices in Alaska

Von, I found Cantwell to be even more than the station in Glitter Gulch. And two years ago I also found the Talkeetna station to be cheaper than even Fairbanks.

I try to fill up whenever I can before/after Denali, but Talkeetna has become a nice place. The Holiday in/near Houston also seems to be a good price.

Mentioned in this post
Cantwell
Cantwell
Denali
Denali
2,183 Reviews