We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kayaking -Valdez, Homer or Seward

Pfafftown, North...
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Kayaking -Valdez, Homer or Seward

Which place would anybody recommend as the best place to kayak and see glaciers? I checked out Sunny Cove in Seward and the $400 price tag is just too much. I see that Homer has a place called Three Moose(? )but have not read any reviews about it. Valdez has Columbia Glacier and Valdez Glacier with hiking that look good. Looking to spend under $200 per person for this. I'm leaning toward Homer or Valdez but like I said I have not read any reviews about the place in Homer and didn't know if it was good. We also plan to visit Denali and Seward on this trip and Homer would seem to fit nicely as we will be in the vicinity but if Valdez is that much better we may need to change plans.Wish we could visit both but time will not allow. We don't have anything set in stone for either Homer or Valdez so this would not conflict with anything else.

Thanks

Edited: 02 April 2011, 18:40
Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kayaking -Valdez, Homer or Seward

tripgirl has kayaked (overnight) from both Valdez and Seward. If you read her description in this link it will give you an idea of the differences and similarities. If you want a lengthy description of each trip go to her profile page and read her reviews for the vendors.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60880-i350-k40145…

2. Re: Kayaking -Valdez, Homer or Seward

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 02 April 2011, 22:00
McCarthy, Alaska
Level Contributor
179 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kayaking -Valdez, Homer or Seward

I haven't kayaked out of Homer or Seward, but I can highly recommend the Columbia Glacier trip in Valdez. The two hour water taxi trip is a great addition, and they stop at waterfalls and to view wildlife (common along the route). Then you get to paddle amongst amazing icebergs, and often see more wildlife (one of the two times I went we saw a black bear fishing) during a great day out by the glacier. Pangaea Adventures does a great job, and I would highly recommend them. The owner is also the boat captain and takes great care of everyone.

Best of luck!

Gaia

McCarthy, AK

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,764 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kayaking -Valdez, Homer or Seward

Three Moose Glacier Kayaking is listed in the Quick Reference Directory of the Homer Visitor's Guide. Lists only a toll-free number. The local ACS directory lists no local number. Be aware that our glaciers across the bay are not tidewater

pine hill, nj
Level Contributor
291 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kayaking -Valdez, Homer or Seward

If you can fit Valdez into your itinerary, I do not think you would be disappointed. I prefer padding in the Kenai, but I understand that the price tag attached can can be off putting. You can read my reviews and see pictures of both areas on my profile page. Any questions just message me and I can go into greater detail. Good Luck.

Pfafftown, North...
Level Contributor
38 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kayaking -Valdez, Homer or Seward

Still trying to decide on where to do sea kayaking. Does anybody have any experience with Miller's Landing guided tours out of Seward? They offer 3 hr and all day kayaking. One even combines kayaking with hiking. Plus they have coupons in Northern Light book.We have determined the Ailiak tour is just going to be too much and the Valdez kayking, even though it is cheaper is still probably too much. So... I'm thinking we may have to stick with a 3hr tour or possibly the all day with Miller's Landing. We are planning on going to Homer as well so I would welcome any experience with those outfits too. The dilema is we would like to see marine life and some glaciers but can't afford the really nice tours. Any suggestions? We will be in Alaska July 22-July 31. I really want to get something booked real soon.

7. Re: Kayaking -Valdez, Homer or Seward

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 October 2012, 02:16