We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Backcountry Safaris Tour Company??

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
4 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Backcountry Safaris Tour Company??

Hello,

My Fiancée and I are trying to book our short Alaskan honeymoon, and have come across the website for Backcountry Safaris. Has anyone used them? I have been trying to get reviews on them but have not been able to find any. Do they go by a different name?

Any help would be wonderful. We are comparing a trip they have with another tour company, and it is a little cheaper with backcountry (the other tour uses a heli-ride to get to destination rather than boat).

Because of our limited time, we really want to go with a good tour company. I've put a link to their website below.

Thanks!!!

Beth

This is their website:

backcountrysafaris.com/bcs-sea-kayaking/bear…

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,963 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Backcountry Safaris Tour Company??

There was an unhappy client a few years ago (see;

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k23574… ); but I didn't find any other TA comments/references.

There is a Better Business "issue" on the BBB web site (see: http://www.bbb.org/alaska/business-reviews/sightseeing-tours/backcountry-safaris-in-anchorage-ak-22231970/complaints) - could be the same unhappy person as above.

Much of their web site seems to be old (e.g. the ANC-SEWARD bus schedule is from 2009) and the link you give shows "... new for 2009..."; but they do have a coupon for 2011 in the Northern Lights Discount book and there are references to 2011 tours throughout their web site.

I can't find any good comments/reviews online; but it's almost always harder to find those then it is to find the bad stuff.

I'd carefully read their refund/payment policies and if you choose them, pay by credit card to best protect yourself.

Whose the other option?

Edited: 19 April 2011, 19:39
jjo
Chicago
Level Contributor
482 posts
169 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Backcountry Safaris Tour Company??

I have done many guided trips in Alaska. I always call them up and ask for a description of the trip, even if there is a detailed one on a web site. I tell them who I am and what I'm looking for. Invariably, I found that when I speek to the owners of the guide services on the phone for a while, a clear favorite emerges. This has always worked as I've never been disappointed with a guide service.

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
20 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Backcountry Safaris Tour Company??

My husband and I traveled with Backcountry Safaris with Ron, a few years back. I have traveled A LOT and this is still my all-time favorite trip. Ron works very hard to make your vacation wonderful. We had whales breach near our kayak; seals popped up right next to us (you had to be careful not to hit them with a paddle accidentally!); puffins flew over the bow of the kayak with their funny feet hanging. At night you could hear huge blocks of glacier break off and land in the water. Ron had safety equipment along and cooked us wonderful meals. Yes you are camping and yes there is no 'toilet' for 6 days but you hardly notice, since it's like being on the Discovery Channel in 3-D the entire time. I will never forget paddling past a piece of ice upon which lay a baby seal. Amazing.

Abilene, Texas
1 post
Save Reply
4. Re: Backcountry Safaris Tour Company??

Backcountry Safaris Sea Kayaking Trip Was More then I expected.

Guides were excellent, could not have asked for better guides. Absolutely loved them. What an adventure. Backcountry Safaris' Aialik Bay Sea kayaking trip is awesome. If I come back again to Alaska, I would definitely signed up for another trip with Backcountry Safaris. Anyone planning a trip to Alaska I would highly recommend Backcountry Safari.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,076 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Backcountry Safaris Tour Company??

Welcome to the forum Jack..........this post is almost a year old........This is your first post and might be interpreted as a blatant plug for the company........

Troy, Michigan
Level Contributor
20 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Backcountry Safaris Tour Company??

Well I have posted a lot here and my husband and I had a fabulous time with this company. The guides were wonderful. It is a true wilderness adventure with excellent food and our camping was very comfortable. I would do the Ayalik bay kayaing again in a quick minute if I could.

Appleton, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
1,033 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Backcountry Safaris Tour Company??

The original post was two years ago. Obviously the person asking the question has already gone on their honeymoon. The last post on this was a year ago. Why are you reviving this post? If you "post a lot here" you would know reviving year old posts will be seen as another blatant plug for the company and actually does more harm than good.

Redondo Beach...
Level Contributor
7 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Backcountry Safaris Tour Company??

Why r u so mean. Maybe he didnt realize how old it was?? Geesh. I didnt notice until I saw yur mean comment fyi. ;)

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,076 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Backcountry Safaris Tour Company??

De ja vu, all over again..........

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,479 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Backcountry Safaris Tour Company??

Well, 20 posts in 8 years can be considered "posting a lot here" by some, but not by others. I too question why this thread was revived after more than a year of inactivity (in fact TA closes threads right about a year since the last post). It certainly seems odd to some people.