We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cheap rental car in Anchorage

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Cheap rental car in Anchorage

Dates: July 6 - 14, 2011

The cheapest I am able to find is around $700-800, that is too much for me. After reading the reviews here, I realized I started planning very very late. This is our first time and my wife and I would like to make the best use of the time. July also seems to be the most expensive month :(

Thanks for your help!

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,545 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cheap rental car in Anchorage

Welcome to TA.

"Cheapest" for how long? $700-$800 for a day is expensive, for a month is cheap.

Check all the rental companies, check on-airport and off-airport, check carrentals.com and autoslash.com, keep checking prices even after you book, downsize to a smaller car (I have fit three people, five checked pieces of luggage and three carry ons into an economy car - takes careful planning and packing).

Unfortunately, you are planning late for car rentals. What are your other options? If trains and buses are even more expensive, and $700-$800 is too expensive for you, then figure that your planning so far is "early" planning for 2012. If you book a car rental 10-11 months in advance you can probably get a rate of about $115/week including all mandatory taxes and fees if rented off-airport. I have secured that rate for summer trips the past 5 years. Have it booked again for June 2011 in Anchorage.

Edited: 21 April 2011, 22:12
Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: Cheap rental car in Anchorage

Hi,

Thanks for your reply, as I mentioned in my original post, it is for July 6-14, 2011. We already bought the flights, so no more backing off :(

Thanks!

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,342 posts
206 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Cheap rental car in Anchorage

Use fti's advice and check often for rate changes. Maybe they'll be a lack of tourists (b/c current economy) and cars will free up. Check the above sources at least daily.

Good luck,

SCott

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Cheap rental car in Anchorage

Sure. I will keep doing that. Right now I have the cheapest reservation from July 7-14 on enterprise for $550 with taxes.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,545 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Cheap rental car in Anchorage

Well, you already have it down by $150-$250 (your original post said $700-$800 and now you have $550 for a week).

So keep looking and you never know what might happen between now and when you depart in July!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,154 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Cheap rental car in Anchorage

Cheap and car rentals in Anchorage are almost mutually exclusive.

Best I could find with your dates on the AARP travel page was $638 (economy w/hertz) so you did pretty well for yourself.

Edited: 21 April 2011, 23:48
Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Cheap rental car in Anchorage

Great, is Avis not a preferred rental car company, just sealed a deal for almost $200 for those 7 days including taxes, albeit not from Airport location.

Also, this deal is not for unlimited miles (100 miles a day) and additional $ 0.30/mile.

Edited: 22 April 2011, 00:48
fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,545 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Cheap rental car in Anchorage

Depending on where you are going, the miles will really add up fast. Figure 300 miles each way to Denali (it is slightly less but you will detour a bit). So that is 600 miles right there. And Seward is about 300 miles round trip. So if you are doing just those two destinations, figure 1,000 miles. So you pay for 300 miles x $.30 = $90. So if you pay $200 + $90 that is a great deal.

Note: I almost always rent from an off-airport location. Usually much cheaper. I have rented from Avis downtown - an easy public bus ride from the airport, or a taxi costs about $20-$25. Check with Avis about returning the car to the airport at the end - they will probably charge you $30-$40 but it will probably be worth the hassle.

Newtown...
Level Contributor
221 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Cheap rental car in Anchorage

I suggest you check Hertz at 414 K St. Anchorage. We just booked an intermediate (Corolla or similar) for $179 week unlimited mileage in midJune. The only downside is that they are only open Monday at 8 AM-Friday, or perhaps Saturday noon. I notice today that reserving directly with Hertz is the same price as carrentals.com. Prices have dropped in past 6 weeks. Out of frustration, I called Hertz in Anchorage directly and saved a few $ by including AAA. Be sure not to rent a car from the AFB, which was the cheapest a few weeks back on carrentals.com. There is no access onto the base without military ID. Anchorage car rental prices are all over the place; never seen such variance in other states. Good luck.

Sunnyvale...
Level Contributor
67 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: Cheap rental car in Anchorage

Hey, thats a really great price, I cannot get anything below $450 o so before taxes for one week (July 7-14, 2011). I guess I have to keep trying, July is more expensive than June apparently, or may be the prices are going to come down a little in next few weeks.

I will keep trying, thanks for the heads up. Is it advisable to call the rental company directly and talk them into giving you a good deal by providing examples of people who got a good deal like one above?