We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Tent Camping in August - Denali and Seward - Weather??

cleveland,ohio
Level Contributor
51 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
Tent Camping in August - Denali and Seward - Weather??

We want to tent camp (family of 4) in Denali - Riley Park Campground and Seward - any advice on where to tent camp?

My main concern is what will be the weather like? Will it be very cold? Does it rain a lot in August?

Should I just book the Cabins instead. Any advice on reasonably priced cabins.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
37,949 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Tent Camping in August - Denali and Seward - Weather??

Yes, we will have weather, but what it may be is any body's guess. Also depends on when in August - later August is really moving into Fall in Denali . . .about mid-August is when we usually get some snow in the Park, though not at Riley Creek. And yes, August does tend to be on the rainy side. SO - if you don't like wet or cold weather, you might consider a cabin. :)

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,210 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Tent Camping in August - Denali and Seward - Weather??

You really never know about the weather. I was at Denali last August (more mid-August) and the weather was really nice. Same in Seward.

In Seward, the city campground on Resurrection Bay is a pretty place to tent camp, but all the sites are right next to each other with few trees. There are a couple of other campgrounds as well as some camping spots along the road to Exit Glacier. I ended up tent camping at the city campground more for convenience than anything.

In Denali, Riley Creek is OK, but it is very busy and very big. I would suggest you consider Savage River campground. Much smaller and quieter. Sure, you have to drive 13 miles back to the mercantile for a shower or to the WAC if you want to be one of the first ones on the shuttle bus. But you can also pick up the shuttle bus at Savage River.

I only tent camp at Riley Creek when I have a really early camper bus to Wonder Lake (7am bus). Otherwise I stay at Savage or stay inside the park at Wonder Lake.

You might consider the Denali Bluffs Hotel. They have a special going on right now (book through May 30) and you can get a discount. Not certain of the price in August, but for early to mid June it was great.

denalialaska.com/denali-bluffs-hotel/…

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Tent Camping in August - Denali and Seward - Weather??

a small RV or truck camper is another option. Fuel costs would be higher than a car but if your drive is between Denali and Seward you're under 1,000 miles. This would save you from dining out 3 times a day as well.

I hope this is for next yr, otherwise be prepared for high prices at this late date.

Edited: 20 May 2011, 23:08
USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Tent Camping in August - Denali and Seward - Weather??

We tent camp every month of the summer. In Southcentral it can be rainy in August- But with a rain tarp & car camping it's not a big deal to us. There have been times when we have dried things out with the heater on in the vehicle. We make it a point when we take tents in to Denali to make sure we top off the gas in the vehicle in glitter gulch before driving in to Savage or Tek.

Seward waterfront city campground is fun because you can watch the sea otters, fishermen, stroll the walkway along the waterfront.

Are you seasoned tent campers or is this your first? How old are the children? Do they enjoy camping? Do you have a camp stove? Warm sleeping bags (at least down to 20 degrees F)?

cleveland,ohio
Level Contributor
51 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Tent Camping in August - Denali and Seward - Weather??

Thanks for all your help. We are seasoned tent campers. Children are 17 and 11. We love camping. Since we have to fly in to Alaska and have to pay for luggage, want to bring just the tent and sleeping bags for camping. Not our camp stove.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Tent Camping in August - Denali and Seward - Weather??

Seasoned tent campers who love camping shouldn't miss camping in Alaska. It's the true Alaskan experience, in my humble opinion. Car camping makes it a snap.

All the camping departments in town, REI, Fred Meyers, even Walmart have inexpensive "pocket rocket" type stoves similar to this:

walmart.com/ip/…4722923

Of course you would need a little mess kit of pots.

As long as you leave the butane canisters behind (lots of people donate them in the bear lockers at Denali campgrounds for people like me LOL) you can take the little stove back home with you. They fold up to the size not much bigger than a lighter!

You might want to reserve one night of a cabin somewhere- to give you a night to spread out equipment & re-organize, like in Seward, for example.

As demonstrated last summer, Alaskan weather can be crazy. We get summers when June or July are rainy & cloudy. So we just never know how the luck of the draw will fall. If we have another summer like last summer's weather, some Alaskans will go crazy!

I too recommend Savage or Tek rather than Riley at Denali. Actually, Igloo is my favorite but we have to treat or boil our water out of the creek there.

Have a wonderful trip.

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,786 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Tent Camping in August - Denali and Seward - Weather??

back to the original question of weather.. go to

http://www.wunderground.com/

travel and activities

trip planner

then punch in the location and dates zou expect to be there, and they will show you the likelyhood of the weather, be it rain, sun wind or whatever.

cleveland,ohio
Level Contributor
51 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Tent Camping in August - Denali and Seward - Weather??

Thanks a lot. We are all excited and have booked Savage for Denali. I know Seward city front campground is not reservable. How tough is it to find tent sites in mid august in Seward? Are there other campgrounds which are reservable and comparable to cityfront??

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,210 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Tent Camping in August - Denali and Seward - Weather??

Where are you coming from and what time of day will you get there? Mid August 13-21 is the Silver Salmon Derby which might bring more people to Seward, but we were there during that time and had no problem finding a campsite. I think we arrived about 5pm. Nothing really "comparable" to the cityfront CG for the view and probably none that I am aware of that are less private, so there is some give and take.

cleveland,ohio
Level Contributor
51 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Tent Camping in August - Denali and Seward - Weather??

We will be driving from Denali, so might not get in till late evening. Just concerned about not getting a campsite and then what?? Thanks for the update on the Silver Salmon Derby.