We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Shopping

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Topic
Shopping

I am taking an 11 day tour/cruise starting in Anchorage and ending in Vancouver. I would like to bring back some "true" Alaskan treasures. Any suggestions on what to look for and where?

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,445 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Shopping

What do you consider "true" - do you mean native arts/crafts? What sort of budget are you considering?

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,309 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Shopping

Yes, please define "true." My Alaska souvenirs are almost always an enlarged print of one of the photos I took during the trip. That is "true" to me.

USA
Level Contributor
9,465 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Shopping

My brother brought home a fur hat for his wife from one of the downtown Anchorage furriers.

http://www.davidgreenfurs.com/

Our visitors go to the Ulu Factory down in the port area for ulu knives.

http://www.theulufactory.com/

We have a great local soap company, Denali Dreams, that makes Alaska berry & wildflower soaps & potions.

denalidreams.com/

Smoked salmon or reindeer sausage is a favorite as a gift, of course.

http://www.alaskasausage.com/

Alaska wildberry products are another favorite.

http://www.alaskawildberryproducts.com/

Downtown Anchorage has native Alaskan crafts or in the gift shop at the Alaska Native Hospital.

Edited: 24 May 2011, 02:21
Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Shopping

Looking for artwork, jewelry, pottery, food, home decorations. Thanks.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,468 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Shopping

You will find lots of local artists in different communities - just depends where all you are going - but we would all appreciate it if you look for things that actually say "made in Alaska". They all have a seal stating that - and then you are know you are getting something actually made in Alaska, not just China. :)

Ketchikan
Destination Expert
for Ketchikan
Level Contributor
2,243 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Shopping

Every port community has a longtime local art gallery that carries art, handicrafts, jewelry and housewares....Scanlon's and Soho Coho in Ketchikan, Annie Kaills in Juneau, Arctic Rose and Artique in Anchorage, etc. and don't forget the museum gift shops. In Alaska they are often the very best place to bring home expertly made regional treasures. The Anchorage Museum, Sheldon Jackson Museum in Sitka, and the State Museum in Juneau all have good buyers. Probably the best place for Native crafts in Anchorage is the Hospital Auxiliary Craft Shop in the Alaska Native Medical Center, off Tudor east of Bragaw (tel. 907/729-1122), where everything is authentic and entirely traditional. The shop is open Monday through Friday from 10am to 2pm and the first and third Saturday of each month from 11am to 2pm. They don't accept credit cards.

MD
Level Contributor
124 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Shopping

When we were in ANC last late May, we went to the weekend flea market. It was huge, and packed with quality crafts made by talented crafts people. There was something for everyone there, in all price ranges. We loved it! It was a great place to find that perfect souvenir, something for the home, or a gift for someone else. The flea market is every Sat and Sunday during the summer.

Edited: 24 May 2011, 04:56
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,445 posts
198 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Shopping

Previously mentioned is the gift shop at the Alaska Native Medical Center (www.anthc.org/anmc/visitors/giftshop.cfm). I've found the items there to be among the best art/crafts available (and among the most expensive).

If you end up at ANMC take an hour to tour the art displays on the landings of each floor of the hospital (take the elevator to the top floor and walk the stairs down). The displays are fantastic.

Some of my favorite Alaskan memories/gifts are a couple of books I have from a now relatively famous cartoonist (Chad Carpenter). Many of his cartoons are funny to all and a good many of them are closely associated with an Alaskan experience/understanding (http://www.tundracomics.com/).

Goos luck & enjoy AK,

Scott

Montgomery, Alabama
Level Contributor
134 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Shopping

We bought ourselves, our grown son, and grown daughter each an ulu knife and cutting board. For the last five years or so, this has been one of the most used utensils in our kitchens.

Long Island, New...
Level Contributor
160 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Shopping

Thanks for all your suggestions.