We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First Cruise

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
First Cruise

Hi all,

I am planning on taking my parents on a cruise to Alaska in the first week of September. Neither me (28) nor my folks (50 +) have been on a cruise or to Alaska before. I tried to read about all the cruise lines and all the ports they go to. There is so much of information that I feel kind of lost now. Can anyone please give me an idea about what I should look for in a cruise and where I could book? Also, if I am booking, does the deck level make any difference in terms of sea sickness?

Here are a couple of things I had in mind:

Taking just a North Bound cruise that could take us to Victoria on the way. Is there any cruise line that does that?

My mom is on a heavier side and will not be able to walk around for more than half a mile. So, I am also looking for something that has some day trips catered for her.

Thanks in advance!!

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
18,610 posts
92 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First Cruise

If you go to the top of the Alaska page on the right you will see "Top Questions" and in there one regarding Alaska cruises which should answer nearly all of you questions.

One that it will not answer is in regard to Victoria, and the answer to that is - No. AFAIK only Seattle based round trips call at Victoria, at mainly useless times, and the one-ways sail to/from Vancouver.

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,803 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First Cruise

To learn more about the ports, you might want to borrow some Alaska travel books from your library. There are a couple of books specific to Alaska cruises, one is Alaska by Cruiseship by Ann Vipond, which outlines the various ports , excursions and sights to see.

I used her Med cruise book last yr and it was very helpful in providing an overview of the ports as well as some interesting details. Good luck !

Edited: 01 June 2011, 01:08
Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: First Cruise

If you want to include Victoria, fly in a day (or two) early and take the ferry over ( bcferries.com/schedules/…tssw-current.html ). The good people on those 2 Canadian forums could help you more with planning that part of the trip.

As for your mom not being able to walk far, there is a LOT of walking involved with a cruise...to/from restaurants, nightly entertainment, etc., and we haven't even gotten her off at ports yet. Does she have a scooter or folding wheelchair? Or you could look into renting one or a power scooter, etc. such as this: http://www.specialneedsatsea.com/ , scootaround.com/rentals/rentals_vehicles.htm , or cruiseshipassist.com/html/wheelchairs.html (Note: I'm not recommending any company, just using them as examples I found on Google. If you rent from them, do your homework first.)

Dublin, California
Level Contributor
18 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: First Cruise

Thank you all for the great information... I have never paid attention to the "top questions" in the forums page, my mistake. It does answer all my questions.

5. Re: First Cruise

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 14:17