We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Melanie Gould update?

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
135 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Melanie Gould update?

To the folks that live in AK, and specifically the Denali - Talkeetna area, has there been any update on finding Melanie Gould?

I loosely follow the Iditarod online every year, and since we are visiting Alaska later in the summer, I've been watching news stories from the state as well (except for the barrage of Palin stories, of course.)

We are keeping fingers (and paws) crossed that she is found safe and sound.

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
38,957 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Melanie Gould update?

There are posters up in the community - and I heard her truck was found on the Denali hwy, but no other news as of this morning when I was listening to local news on NPR/Kuac. I am afraid though your post will be deleted since it isn't travel related (not that I am requesting that).

Anchorage Alaska
Level Contributor
825 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Melanie Gould update?

For updates try:

adn.com

ktuu.com

Edited: 06 June 2011, 20:20
Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,529 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Melanie Gould update?

There are updates on the FB page created to find her. They seem to be good about updating with any news and being responsible about it.

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
135 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Melanie Gould update?

Thanks for the replies ... I will check out the sources mentioned.

I understand that "technically" this is not a travel post. However, since I am planning travels to Alaska, I do hope the moderators will go easy.

We are really looking forward to our trip in late July and wish everyone safe travels ...

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,050 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Melanie Gould update?

Saw I flyer about her disappearance just this morning in our post office......seems like everyone around the state is looking for her and hoping that she shows up safe and sound..........

Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
135 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Melanie Gould update?

Thanks, mombear. I presume responsible dog owners, especially mushers with a large contingency of doggies, would not leave without arranging care for their animals ...

Still hoping for a positive outcome ...

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Melanie Gould update?

Here is the FB page that is the clearing house for information. They have 20 officials on the ground doing search and rescue, dog teams trying to track her scent (and not having much luck), fixed wing aircraft and at least one helicoptor. I think it does pertain to this forum in that people here will be all over the state. We have flyers up from Barrow to Haines. No, she would have not left her team without making arrangments for their care. She would not have left her pet dog, Jane either. She took Jane with her everywhere. She wouldn't have quit her jobs by just not showing up. She wasn't that type of person. It's been a week now and the outlook is no longer very good.

Just a note of reassurance, her dogs are being cared for by friends.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Melanie Gould update?

Oops, here is the link.

https:/…

Oh it doesn't like linking I guess. Just do a search on FB for "Have you seen Melanie Gould".

Edited: 07 June 2011, 18:29
Noname
Level Contributor
486 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Melanie Gould update?

…go.com/US/…

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,132 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Melanie Gould update?

The FB page has been closed/deleted apparently . . . and the link from Pat doesn't seem to work.

Check here for the current story and potential updates as more information if learned . . . alaskadispatch.com/article/missing-musher-me… .