We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Old folks trip plans

Junction, Texas
Level Contributor
347 posts
14 reviews
Save Topic
Old folks trip plans

The adage "You can sleep when you are dead" has a little application when you are 80 and want to see as much of Alaska as you can in 9 days with limited financial and physical resources! We usually pull off on little roads or drives to have lunch from our picnic basket and we plan a couple of hours a day for resting.

We prefer leaving our luggage in the same place for a couple of days at a time when we can.

We are into history and nature and like not to only see but also to learn about the animals and geology, and humans interaction with them.

That said, here is our schedule:

Aug. 12 Anchorage arrive 7:15 P.M. Friday, August 12

Taxi to Anchorage Walkabout B/B

Aug. 13 Anchorage: rest up from flight in : City Trolly tour;

Rasmuson Museum; local sightseeing – shopping,

bookstores & antique stores & Market; Pick up car 4:45

Aug. 14 Talkeetna: in Anchorage spend morning at Alaska Native

Heritage Center; Sunday brunch; Grocery shopping (fill ice

chest & picnic basket); head out ; Denali View Lodge

Aug. 15 Denali/Healy: morning Sightseeing & shopping in

Talkeetna; Mahay’s Three Rivers Tour (jet boat) from

Talkeetna; drive to Denali Park Hotel in Healy,

Aug. 16 Denali/Healy: Denali NP Shuttle Park to Wonder Lake;

Denali Park Hotel

Aug. 17 Talkeetna – Flex day; depending on mood; Mess around

Healy, Back to Park, rest, bird & critter watching, end up

in Talkeetna at Denali View Lodge

Aug. 18 Cooper Landing Stop at points of interest; Alaska River

Adventures scenic raft trip in Cooper Landing check in

5:30 PM 3 ½ hrs The Hutch B & B

Aug. 19 Cooper Landing – Day trip to Homer; see oyster farms

and shellfish operations; area sightseeing on land and by

Mako water taxi; The Hutch B & B

Aug. 20 Cooper Landing – Day trip to Seward; Sea Life Center;

Cultural Center; Major Marine Wildlife cruise check in

11:30 A.M. 5 hrs The Hutch B & B

Aug. 21 Cooper Landing to Anchorage; Aleyska Tram Ride &

lunch at Girdwood; Turn in car at airport; Depart

Anchorage 8:30 P.M. (Sun)

We are always on the lookout for old maps and books and interesting primitive antiques. If you have any suggestions for places for us to stop or to see and locals we should try to talk to, please let us know.

If you see something that sound nuts to you, please point it out.

Thanks!

Mentioned in this post
Santa Claus House
Gift & Speciality Shops, Points of Interest & Landmarks
The Peddler
Antique Stores, Gift & Speciality Shops
Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,264 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Old folks trip plans

I have not made a thorough study of your itinerary and am somewhat confused (I'm old too). Talkeetna and Healy are not close to each other, and you seem to bounce back and forth between August 14th and 17th.

Copper Landing is about halfway between Anchorage and Homer. And new to me - know nothing about tours to the oyster farms, located on the other side of the bay. Also, you might want to spend more time in Homer. To drive all the way there from Cooper Landing and back is a waste of time if you are not going to stay in Homer.

If you wish to do activities in Seward, then why are you staying at Cooper Landing? The distance between Homer and Seward is 175 miles. leaving over an hour drive between Cooper Landing and Seward.

I don't think you will find old maps up here. You might do better on e-bay

Mentioned in this post
Junction, Texas
Level Contributor
347 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Old folks trip plans

To the best of my knowledge, there are no public tours of the oyster farms. We are in the process of making those arrangements privately because we are especially interested in seeing the way it is done. If that fails, we will not go all the way to Healy, but to Kenai instead.

Our only real interest in Seward is the Wildlife Cruise but thought we'd see the other things while there. We do like scenic drives since we are unable to hike much and have to see a lot of things from the car.

Talkeetna? Its location on the way back because the long day on the shuttle bus will be tiring.

Mentioned in this post
Kenai
Kenai
Alaska
Seward
Seward
Alaska
Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Old folks trip plans

The first part of your itinerary looks fine, but the last part is rushed. I know you said you like to say in one lodging, but that just doesn’t really work in this case. Homer is not a “day trip” from Cooper Landing, that’s 5 hours of driving. And I do not recommend the 5 hour wildlife tour out of Seward—you don’t get to see Kenai Fjords NP, or get near a calving glacier, and your chances of seeing humpbacks is very small. I’d recommend the 6 hour NP cruise.

Any way you can add one more day?

Edited: 12 June 2011, 21:27
Mentioned in this post
Junction, Texas
Level Contributor
347 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Old folks trip plans

Can't add another day, but on your recommendation I just changed to the longer cruise. And we'll play the Homer thing by ear until we find out about the oyster beds. Thanks.

Harrisburg...
Level Contributor
3,330 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Old folks trip plans

Peterson Bay Lodge and Oyster Camp can be assessed from Homer via water taxi. They are geared toward overnight and longer guests but you might be able to arrange something with them. Here is their website. You can find their phone number.

http://petersonbaylodge.com/index.html

If that is something high up on your want to do list, I would cut something else out and see if you can spend a night in Peterson Bay.

Junction, Texas
Level Contributor
347 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Old folks trip plans

Thank you so much! I will give them a call.

One thing that Texas and Alaska have in common is distance. We have a 5 hour round trip drive when we have a doctor's appointment.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Old folks trip plans

My only comment is to plan some time for Sunday brunch. Most places have a 45 minute wait or longer for brunch unless you happen to get there real close to opening. Just so you can make the most of your Sunday.

Junction, Texas
Level Contributor
347 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Old folks trip plans

Thank you. I would not have guessed that. I will call ahead to see if they take reservations.

Chugiak, Alaska
Level Contributor
2,104 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Old folks trip plans

Most don't, but you can call ahead and get your name on the list.

10. Re: Old folks trip plans

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 04 October 2012, 01:18