We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

REMINDER .. please keep your questions in one thread

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
REMINDER .. please keep your questions in one thread

A gentle reminder that it's easier to follow and respond to questions about your trip when all the information is kept in one thread. When you open a new thread for every question it's difficult to remember the details of your trip.

I really feel for the destination experts who are struggling to help with itineraries and questions but have to search back to old threads in order to recall the all the details. So, it's in your best interest to open one thread then build on it.

( it's the first item under TOP QUESTIONS ABOUT ALASKA.)

missouri
Level Contributor
92 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: REMINDER .. please keep your questions in one thread

It seems if you have a really long thread already and you have a very specific type question, it gets lost and no replies...not complaining, my main questions have been answered in terms of my main trip, and I really appreciate the info....but my thread is so long it seems kind of silly to add something to it, like, hey, is there a walmart near Anchorage...know what I mean? But if that's how it works best I'll certainly do that...

Again, thanks for all the info...it really has saved me money and given me all kinds of things to consider and do that I would not have ever thought about...

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
39,499 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: REMINDER .. please keep your questions in one thread

deltablue - I do agree with that. I know that for many forum folks, it is easier to stick to one thread, and usually that is true. But sometimes, there is just one quick question - not really related to the overall travel itinerary . . . like you said - where is the Walmart? I would much rather answer that one quick question than wade thru 30 postings to find the part of the question that I am supposed to be answering. Just my 2 cents worth. :)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,150 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: REMINDER .. please keep your questions in one thread

I think there is some common sense middle ground. As a general observation, the issue really happens when someone comes here, seemingly for the first time, and then posts several questions in individual threads sometimes even the same question on multiple locales.

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: REMINDER .. please keep your questions in one thread

A question about WalMart can easily be a separate thread...no problem...*unless* in it you start discussing your itinerary again, then everyone is out in left field who is looking at your original thread. If you (the generic "you", meaning anyone, not you specifically, deltablue77) find that happening--and sometimes it does, because regulars who notice your 2nd thread maybe aren't aware you had a first one--then when you go back to your main thread, post a link of the 2nd one into it with a brief explanation (eg: "I made some changes to my itinerary in post X in this link: LINK"). Then we don't have to go sifting through all the posts you ever made, looking for information (that might not even be there!)....and most of us usually don't have the time to do that anyway.

Also, we really appreciate it when people include the link to their first thread in the "WalMart" thread. Just say "Here is my itinerary thread in case anyone wants to refer to it: LINK". Knowing that you have a small child, or how many are in your group, or what time you arrive in Anchorage, etc., might not seem important to you, but sometimes it can affect what our response would be!

Over and over again we see a regular taking their time to give suggestions that have already been discussed on other threads posted by the same person. That is a waste of that regular''s time, which could be better spent helping another poster. It's really frustrating too.

So please, anyone reading this, help us to help you by ensuring that we have easy access to your information!

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,150 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: REMINDER .. please keep your questions in one thread

Good points MM. How many people do you think come here to TA, however, and read stuff first before rapid firing their questions? (This thread will be totally lost on most posters here, especially the new ones.)

Over on the Africa/Kenya forum, it does not fail that at least once a day it seems someone comes to post a new thread with a question on:

* Visa entry fees

* Tipping on safari

* Weather

* What to wear on safari

* "Best" anti-malarial med

* Obtaining local currency

etc

etc

etc

When I see what goes on over there and the patience of most of their DE's, I feel we have it pretty good here in AK. That said, it would be nice to have folks make it a little simpler for those trying to be helpful.

Me? I do what I can but refuse to research a bunch of their early threads . . . or do basic search on TA or the WWW for that matter, when they could do that much themselves. What is my/our time less precious than theirs?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
3,796 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: REMINDER .. please keep your questions in one thread

All of you are right ! But Von is the 'rightest'. Common sense.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,574 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: REMINDER .. please keep your questions in one thread

On the NYC forum there is a "How to use this forum" sticky. Don't know if it would help here but it might help newbies understand that most of us look at the Alaska forum and not sub forums and to keep itinerary questions in one thread. I think a sticky may be more obvious than a top question but it would also have to be stuck in the sub forums.

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,615 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: REMINDER .. please keep your questions in one thread

Most people do not read "Sticky's".

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,574 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: REMINDER .. please keep your questions in one thread

I guess I thought a sticky would be much more obvious than a "top questions" area especially on a mobile device. You don't even see the "top questions" on the mobile site. The app is even worse. I guess I am in the minority because if a sticky says "read here first" I do.

Edited: 15 June 2011, 13:56
Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
10,940 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: REMINDER .. please keep your questions in one thread

Aw c'mon spacefry.... So you read instructions and operator manuals too!!! If i did that, I'd have everything done and my wife would give me more projects.