We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Cruise plus sights

Sulphur, Louisiana
Level Contributor
318 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Cruise plus sights

We ( 4 over 60 yrs.) are planning our first, and probably only, trip to Alaska. We live in Louisiana. We would like to go in either late Aug. or early Sept. 06. We would like to cruise a few days then see the land sights. We aren't much on touristy shopping, etc. but would rather see Denali Park and other natural sights. We have 10-14 days.

Thank you for any help.

Margo

Yukon, Canada
Level Contributor
1,218 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Cruise plus sights

I'll start this off by saying that late August - early Sepember is not the best time. The days are much shorter, and the weather much wetter, than in June. Are you stuck with that time?

Murray

Sulphur, Louisiana
Level Contributor
318 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Cruise plus sights

Our trip to Alaska can be just about any time except June. Is everything much more expensive and crowded during the summer? Of course, we need the weather to be bearable, too. It would be great to see whales, bears, the Northern Lights, and foliage and flowers. We just want to go at the best time of the year. Thank you.

Trapper Creek, AK
7 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Cruise plus sights

Actually, I find late Aug. and early Sept to be the best times to visit Alaska, especially our area (just south of Denali National Park). We have more blue skies then and altho the days are a little shorter there is still plenty of sun. The big seasonal hotels stay open until Sept 15. It gets a bit cooler, so come on up but bring a jacket for the evenings. Look at a site called trappercreek.org and look at the wx page. It gives lots of good information. I've lived here for 30+ years and fall is by far the pretiest time of year as far as I'm concerned.

Trapper Creek, AK
7 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Cruise plus sights

Actually, I find late Aug. and early Sept to be the best times to visit Alaska, especially our area (just south of Denali National Park). We have more blue skies then and altho the days are a little shorter there is still plenty of sun. The big seasonal hotels stay open until Sept 15. It gets a bit cooler, so come on up but bring a jacket for the evenings. Look at a site called trappercreek.org and look at the wx page. It gives lots of good information. I've lived here for 30+ years and fall is by far the pretiest time of year as far as I'm concerned.