We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Small plane motion sickness?

maine
Level Contributor
27 posts
Save Topic
Small plane motion sickness?

Planning on doing some flight seeing....all the tour operators claim no one ever gets motion sickness... any one with alot of small plane expereince want to comment? We can take Bonine, but would rather not...don't like the side affects...we've never had a prob on big planes...but we have had some issues w/seasickness...THANKS! Mike

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,757 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Small plane motion sickness?

with were on K2 Aviation out of Talkeetna last month and the pilot said no one had ever got sick, but provided barf bags and told how to use them just in case. You will be too busy sight seeing anyway

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Small plane motion sickness?

"all the tour operators claim no one ever gets motion sickness"

That's ridiculous. People can get motion sickness even on LARGE planes. And the small ones can get buffeted around even more.

I've been on 2 small planes. Took my "meds" prior to boarding each. One was flightseeing out of Ketchikan, the flight was smooth so no issues. The second was a bear-viewing flight out of Homer to Katmai NP. The trip over was a little bit bouncy at times, and meds or not, I was sooooo glad when we finally landed. Didn't upchuck but was feeling green at the gills for the last half hour. Coming back it was much smoother and I had no issues.

You don't have to use Bonine if you get side effects. Talk to your pharmacist about other drugs (I use Dramamine--the non-drowsy one--and get no side effects, but drugs affect everyone differently, so try it out PRIOR to your trip).

Here is a great website with lots of tips for preventing seasickness: http://www.goddesscruise.com/SeaSick.htm . Of course, not all of that applies to airsickness as well (you might make the other passengers feel sick if you stood up and demanded to "steer" the plane, lol!), but most do.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
8,757 posts
60 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Small plane motion sickness?

In all fairness both my wife and I are fortunate that we don't get air or sea sickness, so I shouldn't knock those who do, as they don't have any control over it. The only thing in flying is when it gets rough my wife grabs my nand or arm and squeezes too hard as if I have any control if we crash or not

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Small plane motion sickness?

"The only thing in flying is when it gets rough my wife grabs my nand or arm and squeezes too hard as if I have any control if we crash or not"

Don't knock that either. It's worked so far, hasn't it? ;-)

Milwaukee, Wisconsin
Level Contributor
8,130 posts
36 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Small plane motion sickness?

I had a friend traveling with me this past March and we did a flightseeing tour out of Anchorage with Rust's . . . using one of their K2 planes. She barfed on the flight, but said she wouldn't let that deter her from doing it again.

I have another friend who won't risk anything that may make her puke, so she's missed out on the flightseeing with me.

Bristol, Connecticut
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
4,504 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Small plane motion sickness?

I get severe motion sickness, was in a bounce house yesterday and it took hours to get rid of the motion sickness, and haven't gotten sick on a small plane yet. I have not felt well at times but not completely miserable. I think if you normally take something for motion sickness you should take it for the flight. Bonine works for me but I have also used non-drowsy Dramamine with success.

I don't take medicine on planes because I am usually working but do take it on the water.

Edited: 09 July 2011, 22:58
Phoenix, AZ
Level Contributor
135 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Small plane motion sickness?

As a private pilot, I have experienced nausea in small aircraft here in Arizona since the heat and mountains can cause turbulence, but can't take any medications whilst piloting. I have found success with ginger ... here is a link about ginger for motion sickness from the University of Maryland:

www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/ginger-000246.htm

The above link includes information on dosing. When not piloting, I do take Bonine on occasion if I'm going to be on a boat or in a helicopter.

Hope this helps.

8. Re: Small plane motion sickness?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 12:15