We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best choice for glacier trek??

Logansport, Indiana
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
best choice for glacier trek??

my husband & i will be in alaska early september & are wanting to do a glacier trek somewhere. i am considering one out of juneau @ mendenhall or @ matanuska while we are in anchorage. open to any other suggestions from juneau or near anchorage to denali (we will be spending 1 day in port in junea & 2 nights in anchorage & 2 in denali). looking for the the best glacier trek experience within these areas......

thanks!

Italy
Level Contributor
806 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best choice for glacier trek??

Mendenhall glacier it's easy to reach and have an easy loop trek on the right. Other option is on the left but you need a car and the trek isn't easy.

I think that Matanuska is more spectacular but I didn't see it. Other peaple could tell you if there are other options for the best glacier trek

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: best choice for glacier trek??

I don't know if anyone here has done both Mendenhall and Matanuska to be able to compare them....

The scenery along the drive might give the edge to Matanuska, and the Ice Falls are really neat, but going there and then returning to Anchorage is doubling back on territory you've already covered. Is your lodging written in stone?

Oh, and when in September? I think the Matanuska hikes end around Sept. 5.

Edited: 15 July 2011, 13:11
Logansport, Indiana
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best choice for glacier trek??

I checked the mica website a week ago & it shows there is a morning & afternoon ice falls trek available the day we were planning to go. We have already booked our hotel, I don't remember what the cancellation policy is. We will be heading to denali the next day. I was originally planning on trying to do the glacier dog sledding in juneau, but have not been able to get in touch with the company sine the first email they sent to say they were available. Thinking it may be a lost cause, so we will probably visit the glacier, but wasn't sure if that would be a better place to trek.

Thanks again!

Manitoba, Canada
Level Contributor
6,894 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best choice for glacier trek??

There is glacier dogsledding in Girdwood (1 hr. south of Anchorage) until Aug. 31: www.ididaride.com/tours/girdwood-summer-tours if you arrive that early.

Logansport, Indiana
Level Contributor
18 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best choice for glacier trek??

no, we won't be there that early :( We will be on a northbound cruise sept 2-9 & then anchorage 9th-11th & denali 11th-13th. Temsco was the only one I found that said they would still be running, but now they won't return my emails anymore...maybe we will make it back at a different time of year when there is more availability for it...

6. Re: best choice for glacier trek??

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 05 October 2012, 10:18