We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Whale watching Icy Strait Point

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
930 posts
110 reviews
Save Topic
Whale watching Icy Strait Point

FISHES and Misty bay lodge is full. I want to do for 3 hours on august 16 as i want to go on ATV after that. Glacier wind is only offering only for 4 hours. Erick is also for 4 hours. Raven Charters not responding to mail or phone. Any suggestion guys. Please help me. Really want to go to point Adolphus.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
930 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Whale watching Icy Strait Point

Plz some1 help

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,099 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Whale watching Icy Strait Point

You need to be a bit patient. It has been less than 2 hours since you first posted. Also, you posted duplicate threads and I already did answer you rather quickly on the other thread. I will paste my reply here too, but honestly, you will win more friends with honey than with vinegar if you understand that expression!

Welcome to the forum. No need to start duplicate threads with the same question - you can go to the one on the general Alaska forum and click on Report Inappropriate Content, then Remove My Post to delete the other one.

>>every1 here said there are best place for viewing whales.

"every1"? Really? I haven't said that. Though Pt. Adolphus is excellent for whale watching, when I did whale watching one year at both Pt. Adolphus and Juneau within 4 days of each other, I had a better experience seeing more whales doing more activities in Juneau than at Pt. Adolphus. I say this to strongly encourage you to keep your expectations realistic. Expect to see a few blows and flukes, nothing more. Then if you see anything else, you will be fortunate and happy. Otherwise, your false expectations could ruin your experience.

Having said that, I would pursue Glacier Wind. Longer tours (i.e. more time on the water) are always better. Why are you averse to taking them? Are they that much more expensive? Seems like their $165 rate for 3.5-4 hours is much better than $150 with FISHES for 3 hours.

But if you want something shorter, you could check Dreamwind or Misty Bay Lodge. The only one I would not recommend is Teckk.

Mumbai (Bombay...
Level Contributor
930 posts
110 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Whale watching Icy Strait Point

I am new to forum and dint know earlier how to remove post..But as you said i did remove the earlier ones.I felt you felt bad when i said every1 so re framed it.

Misty Bay lodge is full and Dream wind is no longer doing in Alaska.They have moved to Washington.

I want a shorter one as i want to do ATV expedition after that.I will be visiting Alaska first time and dont think if i will get a chance to come again . so want to do as much as possible

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,099 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Whale watching Icy Strait Point

My suggestion is to look at the ship's whale watching tour. Or perhaps look at the town's website - visithoonah.com - for other companies that might offer such a tour.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,025 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Whale watching Icy Strait Point

If you are on a cruise, maybe you could do a whale watch tour from Juneau if you can't find one in Icy Straight for your timeframe.....

Juneau, Alaska
1 post
Save Reply
6. Re: Whale watching Icy Strait Point

I've taken the Icy Strait Point whale watch, wonderful trip, whole family enjoyed it & it leaves right from Icy Strait Point Dock, so you get on water more quickly.

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,025 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Whale watching Icy Strait Point

Welcome to the forum SE_AKlover........which company did you use ??

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,099 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Whale watching Icy Strait Point

If it were from ISP it would have to have been the ship's excursion. ISP is "cruise ship only" territory. All the private operators are kept outside the fenced area.

New York
Level Contributor
3,144 posts
54 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Whale watching Icy Strait Point

I whale watched with Teckk Outfitters, this year. I have also used them for bear watching. I highly recommend this well run company.

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,099 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Whale watching Icy Strait Point

See the last sentence of my post #2. I had a poor experience with Teckk and that is the only one I would never recommend. I have also seen multiple posts on Cruise Critic complaining about this company as well. If interested, let me know and I can find the posts.

Edited: 22 July 2011, 17:32