We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Pls don't plan on driving from Seward to Denali in one day

fti
MN
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
15,479 posts
28 reviews
Save Topic
Pls don't plan on driving from Seward to Denali in one day

Though it happens every year, the accident on Thursday on the Seward Highway was especially tragic. 1 killed and 16 injured.

adn.com/2011/08/05/2002045/witnesses-credite…

"The collision froze traffic for hours on the Seward."

Sure the chances are small that it will happen during your trip. But that is a factor, as is road construction, slow RV's, scenic stops, you name it.

Seward,Alaska
Destination Expert
for Seward
Level Contributor
3,369 posts
51 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Pls don't plan on driving from Seward to Denali in one day

I debated on posting some of the accidents that have happened recently as this is only 1 of many... some affecting me personally! Are the accidents really a topic that should be allowed/discussed on TA? It reminds me of subjects such as violence/crime that are not allowed to be reported on other forums..

I agree that we can't stress enough how driving can be here and to be prepared for anything.. but there are some that like to do long drives and cover the state. Many times I've driven Seward - Fairbanks in one day.. yes I know I live here but also do long drives/trips on vacation.. so I think your topic line coulda been different.. but I understand your point.

2 weeks ago the Sterling Hwy was closed from 5pm till after 3am.. 2 seperate accidents miles apart.. do we say not to go to Homer in 1 day because they might not make it till the next day?

Take the train with no worries about head ons.. just rock slides to shut that down in summer.

Estero, Florida
Level Contributor
1,253 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Pls don't plan on driving from Seward to Denali in one day

Glacierlady, hope you and yours came out safe... I too am not sure what a church group with a driver who made a fatal error has to do with making a long drive either. We have driven Seward to Denali several times without incident and have had major traffic jams on I - 4 in Florida due to bad drivers causing terrible wrecks that caused us to miss a flight. When you have limited time in an area, reducing the number of travel days can allow you more time to spend on activities in the area you plan on targeting, just my humble opinion

Perhaps it would be better to say please do not drive tired and please pay attention not only to your driving but be prepared to drive defensively when needed. Too many innocent people being hurt by others carelessness

naples, fl
Level Contributor
227 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Pls don't plan on driving from Seward to Denali in one day

IMHO, people who drive I-4 are a different breed, entirely. Crazy. Wouldn't you say bluewater?

Las Vegas, Nevada
Level Contributor
4,345 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Pls don't plan on driving from Seward to Denali in one day

Thanks for posting this - I lived at mile 96 of the Seward Highway for 18 months and believe tourists need to be aware of how dangerous the road can be. It is probably the most dangerous road in Alaska. More than 100 people have lost their lives between Potter marsh and Girdwood since 1997.

Drive safe out there folks - don't be impatient - don't let others push you to illegally speed faster than you are comfortable with - and watch out for the other guy. And I'm sure the police will be out enforcing the double traffic fines for the next month or so.

Coffs Harbour...
Level Contributor
184 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Pls don't plan on driving from Seward to Denali in one day

You're making me nervous..........

Greater Sydney...
Level Contributor
16,684 posts
79 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Pls don't plan on driving from Seward to Denali in one day

Hey Vicki, just consider that where you live in Coffs is accessed by the most dangerous highway in NSW, and how many people are killed on that every year. Drive with the same amount of respect for the road as you would on the Pacific.

St Albans
Level Contributor
170 posts
162 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Pls don't plan on driving from Seward to Denali in one day

Whatever country you live in, there's a huge degree of chance in all this. Yesterday we drove from Denali toGirdwood, with stops for coffee and lunch, plus a visit to the Potter Marsh boardwalk and a 1.5 mile walk on a nearby trail, and we were in Girdwood by 5.30. I'd have been quite happy with the thought of driving another 90 miles to Seward. it sounds like we would have run into the aftermath of the accident fti wrote about, but I've experienced the consequences of the same sort of thing in the UK enough times. Some days driving is fine and some days it isn't. I certainly wouldn't want to drive from Denali to Seward if I had a fixed deadline, but if time wasn't critical I'd consider it

Alaska
Destination Expert
for Alaska
Level Contributor
1,790 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Pls don't plan on driving from Seward to Denali in one day

It has become my standard recommendation to travelers to make ALL of their sea-side (Turnagain Arm side) stops as they drive south, thus they have only right hand turns to get out of and back into traffic, and no cross-traffic stops or turns.

After that it is up to the individual to judge traffic and their desires as they drive back north. Given the variabilities in human and traffic condition, the rest depends upon good judgement and luck. Sometimes I even follow my own advice.

9. Re: Pls don't plan on driving from Seward to Denali in one day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 October 2012, 21:18