We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

flies?

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
flies?

Have been planning 2-wk trip to Glacier Bay, Seward, Valdez, Denali Hwy, Denali NP, and Anchorage for Jun 11-23. Wondering how bad the flies will be. Mostly interested in birding. Is this the wrong month to go? Thanks for advice.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: flies?

I'm not sure about flies but mosquitoes will be a problem. Just make sure to have some good bug spray, Skin So Soft will NOT be sufficient. Have fun!

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: flies?

Thanks, 1stimestar, for your reply - but am still at a loss as to the insect issue. Are they worse in June as opposed to August? We have a chance to do this trip in August also - and just are not interested in having to battle the flies/mosquitos when out hiking or just birding from the car on the Denali Hwy.

yukon
Level Contributor
99 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: flies?

In my neck of the woods there's a bug for every month. Mosquitos in June/July and then in August the blackflies come out. There isn't really a bug free month.

The mosquitos can be bad but given a choice I would pick the mosquitos over the blackflies.

As 1sttimestar mentioned, bring the bug spray.

Hope this helps,

KRG

Healy, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Denali National Park and Preserve, Alaska
Level Contributor
40,878 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: flies?

Oh, and just to add a bit - it really varies from year to year, and also area. Where I live, there is always a breeze, so even when mosquitos are horrible elsewhere, we are usually fine. Low lying and boggy areas are usually the worst, of course. June is often the worst month for mosquitos and by August they seem to be pretty much gone. Never been bothered by flies . . . maybe regional also. June is my favorite month for the green and flowers . . . and as stated, get a good bug dope, and you'll be fine. :)

Anchorage, AK
Level Contributor
225 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: flies?

Anytime you venture out of town, you are likely to run into either mosquitoes or other flying insects but like stated above, every year is different, last year was horrid and the year before that was practically nothing. June will be better than August weather wise, but bug wise is like pulling a slot machine, who knows? The only bugless guarantee would be to stay in Anchorage or right along the coast in Seward, Valdez or Homer. But head into the forest or off the road and no guarantees.

Alexandria, Virginia
Level Contributor
10 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: flies?

Thanks to all who've written about the bug issue. We're forging ahead with our plans for June and will have a great time.