We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Do we need airconditioning in Alaska the end of June?

Greensboro
Level Contributor
4 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Do we need airconditioning in Alaska the end of June?

We will be traveling for 2 weeks in Anchorage,going to Denali, Talkeetna, Girdwood and Seward. Have heard it can really get hot this time of year but have not found many hotels or bed and breakfasts with airconditioning. Would like some advice please.

Anchorage, Alaska
Level Contributor
122 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Do we need airconditioning in Alaska the end of June?

24 hours of daylight will surprise you. It will be more mild in Anchorage or Seward, but warmer and more dry in Denali and Talkeetna. I'd recommend AC where it's available, but as you note, it's not univerally available here.

While other hotels in ANC have AC too, the one I'm certain about is the Sheraton. I hear that the Hotel Captain Cook, while ofthen thought to be the most nice in the city, does not have AC.

A local looking forward to summer too..

Welcome to town!

Ljubljana, Slovenia
Level Contributor
610 posts
299 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Do we need airconditioning in Alaska the end of June?

I toured Alaska last June and July and the weather was really hot! I had my air conditioning on even in the Anchorage hotel. I could not imagine being without one in Fairbanks as the sun was up from 3 am till midnight and it would have been furnace-like in the room if there was no air conditioning. If you can I advise you to book accommodation that has A/C.

And don't forget to pack your shorts - I was glad I didn't as I used them a lot.

Fairbanks, Alaska
Level Contributor
666 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Do we need airconditioning in Alaska the end of June?

You might not need an A/C but a fan is almost always welcome.