We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Transportation if unable to hire car?

Snape, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Transportation if unable to hire car?

Hi all I'm new to the forums.

Looking to travel (just myself) to the states, one of Alaska's national parks to be specific, in 2012. However being 19 car hire does not seem viable. Some have mentioned to me buying a car for the duration and selling before leaving. As I'd be staying for 4 months+ this would be suitable for me. Is this possible and does anyone have any other suggestions on how I can obtain a car in the states for my duration? (I have full UK driving license of course).

Thanks so much,

George

Adirondack, New York
Level Contributor
3,955 posts
90 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Transportation if unable to hire car?

George, there is public transportation in Alaska but to give you any details without knowing your itinerary it is almost impossible task.

Which national park in Alaska you want to visit? Is this only one destination in Alaska or are you including other places as well?

Buying a car and insuring it when you're non-resident of the US has many challenges especially if you're 19. Insuring a car at 19 can cost you more than what you would pay for a car. There are some posters who used exclusively public transportation to travel in Alaska.

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g28923-i349-k48995…

Edited: 29 October 2011, 14:39
Snape, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Transportation if unable to hire car?

Thanks for the info.

Denali national park is the park I intend to visit, for approx 12 weeks.

Unfortunately due to the nature of my visit public transportation is not possible, I do require a personal vehicle.

It seems that its a matter of weighing up the costs of buying against renting for such a period of time... I've found rentawreck and ezrental car rentals in Alaska do offer rentals to 18+ year olds.

Surely the insurance being for such a short period of time would not be significant? Are there international insurance options available?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,086 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Transportation if unable to hire car?

gmann, you should contact an insurance company with questions.......rates will depend on your driving record and value of your vehicle......

Are you working in Denali for three months ?......If so your employer may provide transportation.......that way you could just take a train or bus to Denali......Coalminer hasn't responded yet, but I believe there are car rentals available at Denali and maybe you could get by with only renting one once a week or so while you are there......

Anchorage, Alaska
Destination Expert
for Anchorage
Level Contributor
11,119 posts
205 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Transportation if unable to hire car?

At 19 years of age; insurance for the motor vehicle will be significant. As someone already suggested an insurance company. In fact contact several insurance companies. They'll all have answers that vary.

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,266 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Transportation if unable to hire car?

You didn't say anything about driving in other states in addition to your 12 weeks in Alaska. You will have to drive through Canada to get there. If you buy a car up here for the period of time you may also need to acquire an Alaskan driver's license. You will need to take only the written test (actually on a computer screen).

Warning! If you are going to be up here for that length of time you may want to stay and not go home. If college student then transfer to UAA or UAF

Snape, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Transportation if unable to hire car?

Could you recommend any insurance companies that offer temporary insurance for non-US citizens?

Edit; I'm visiting from England, and it is only a temporary study trip with no affiliations such as employers or colleges/universities, and it is just myself going. I only require to drive in Alaska, to and from the airport and around Denali.

Edited: 29 October 2011, 18:30
Snape, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Transportation if unable to hire car?

"you may also need to acquire an Alaskan driver's license. You will need to take only the written test (actually on a computer screen)."

What Alaskan authority would I contact to check if I need an Alaskan drivers license?

haines, alaska
Destination Expert
for Haines
Level Contributor
7,086 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Transportation if unable to hire car?

Gmann

Are you doing this study trip all on your own ?.......seems like you are starting from scratch without much information......

Alaska Department of Motor Vehicles is the licensing authority.......I do not think you would need an Alaska drivers license just for three months, though......

One other thing that you may not be aware of is that you can only drive a few miles into Denali National Park, even if you do have your own vehicle.....in order to get further into the park you will need to take the park shuttle bus......

Lake Tahoe...
Level Contributor
9,266 posts
64 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Transportation if unable to hire car?

Probably DMV (Department of Motor Vehicles). At least, that is what it is called in California. Regarding driving to an from the airport, the nearest to Denali is Fairbanks.

Snape, United...
Level Contributor
37 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Transportation if unable to hire car?

mombear, are you sure regarding the Denali roads?

Looking at the map ( http://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/upload/Park-Road-Map-(rev2-13-09)-web.jpg ) I assumed that this road could be travelled by cars.